hornady Interbond VS. Barnes X

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by Sasquatch, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

HI all

Yesterday I decided to have a little fun out on the range and compare two of my loads. I had some 150 gr. barnes X bullets that the ex girlfried had given me last fall and some 150 gr. hornady interbonds that I bought to test. Both loads are traveling about 2900 fps when they leave the barrel of my .06. I shot them at/into a bag of sand at 875 yards. in my rifle, the interbonds were much more consistant on their point of impact. No numbers for moa, but I hit the target 7/10 shots with them and only 4/10 with the barnes. I saved the bullets that I managed to recover and weighed them for weight retention. The barnes bullets came out with retained weights of 45.6, 47.5, 49.1 and 52.9 grains for an average of 48.775 out of 150 grains. The Hornadys had weights of 138.5, 140.3, 137.8, 130.9, 139.0, 138.6, and 134.3 for an average of 137.057 out of 150 grains. In my little experiment the barnes x bullets kept a tad over 32.5% of their original weight and the hornadys kept a little over 91.3% very impressive for going into a bag of sand.

For me, I prefer the Hornady interbonds. they shot much more consistant out of the old .06 and they kept much more bullet weight retention. I think I'll use the last of the barnes bullets for varmits.

2. Brent

Brent Well-Known Member

Do you have any pictures of the bullets? I'd really like to see what the bullets ended up looking like.

That's almost unbeleiveable that the X bullet lost 2/3rds of its weight at that distance, hell, even at point blank range I've never seen an X bullet loose 1/10th of its weight! And those were fired into sand as well...

3. reed mosser

reed mosser Well-Known Member

I also have had good results with the interbonds. I shot them out of my 30-338 laupa imp ant around 3850 FPS into couple of stacks of dry newspaper right from the muzzle. They retained 75% of their weight . They work excellent on deer, they flat out kill. Good Luck

4. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

What weight bullet did you get going that fast?!

5. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I shoot 140gr Barnes X bullets of one variety or another through paper targets and into the sand berm all the time. I fire them from a 7mm-08 and a 7STW. The berm is just behind the 200yd line.

I have recovered MANY of them and have noticed a significant reduction in bullet mass.

Of all the whitetails that I've killed with the X bullets, I've yet to recover a single bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VH

6. reed mosser

reed mosser Well-Known Member

I only shoot the 150's in my 30-338 laupa imp. I have a 30 inch tensioned benchmark barrel on it. That was a max load at 3850 FPS. But it will shoot no pressure at 3750 with 99.0 grains of 7828 and federal match mag primer. The bullets averaged 100 grains weight when recovered. I figured if they retained 50% weight at that speed they were good. I was really suprized by their weight retained.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes I would have to agree with Brent, that's unbleviable that the barnes lost that much weight! I too would like to see the pictures of them.
    I have seen a "x" bullet taken from phone book from 300 yrds, the bullet was the classic mushroom...it was a 150 gr from a 7mag. Didn't have the weight, but looked darn good.

8. Sasquatch

right now my digital is at my parents house, forgot it at christmas, but I will post some picks when I get it again at easter. Most of the barnes bullets had a lopsided mushroom look to what was left of them and all but one of the hornady's had a very symmetrical mushroom. The lishtest weight I listed for one of the barnes bullets is incorrect. When I inspected the bases a little closer I noticed that it was missing the boat tail pattern. It is probably one of the winchester factory loads that I had shot up for the brass earlier this winter. one very minute piece of lead left in the base from the Win. spire point

9. Brent

Brent Well-Known Member

I would have to say that Barnes is drilling them HP's way deeper in order for them to loose that much weight, after all, the majority of the bullet is a solid slug of copper.

Most of mine were recovered from sand that were shot at less than 30 feet. I don't think a single one lost more than 10% of it's original weight, and looked like perfect mushrooms, some minus a petal or two maybe but that is it. The further out I shot them the less they mushroomed, they certainly didn't begin exploding more. This seems VERY odd, and I'd be contacting Barnes about it, big time.

10. specweldtom

specweldtom Well-Known Member

sasquatch

Two years ago I shot a blackbuck antelope at just over 100 yds. I was hunting with a .338 x .378 wby that I built, and was shooting 225 gr Barnes X factory ammo that runs 3200 fps instrumental at 7 yds from the muzzle. The bullet traversed from front rt shoulder thru chest and exited behind left shoulder. Entrance wound and exit wound were both about bullet size. He ran about 50 more yards and left no blood trail at all. When we dressed him,the near shoulder was shredded, and several ragged holes were blown out of the near side ribcage. I believe that all the petals sheared off inside the shoulder and blew the holes in the ribcage, but I couldn't find any pieces in the mess to prove it. I never called Barnes, but this is unsatisfactory performance, and I won't hunt with that load anymore.
    Tom

11. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I can\'t believe I said that

Somehow I typed:
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have recovered MANY of them and have noticed a significant reduction in bullet mass.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant was that I HAVEN"T noticed a significant reduction in bullet mass. I gotta stay away from that wine bottle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VH

12. dimecovers3

dimecovers3 Well-Known Member

In regard to what Speck said about the petals shearing off and causing multiple exit holes, I can remember Barnes harping on this as an asset when the bullet first appeared as it was deadly. Remington has a shotgun slug that does the same. I'm not so sure its such a bad thing to have three or four petals taking their own paths through vitals while main body of bullet with about 75% mass drills a hole through any and all it encounters. But I could be totally wrong. I can't see needing them for less than bear or elk. For deer, they would seem to not be good for dumping foot pounds onto target or leaving good blood trail. I would think the Interbond a more well rounded bullet.

13. 3sixbits

3sixbits Well-Known Member

I guess if I was goimg to hunt sand to shoot for the table I will use the Barnes again. But for meat hunting I think the Interbonds are a better choise! But then again I haven't hunted any fruit or veggies with either so have no opinion as reguards to preformance in this tuffer medium. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Sasquatch

I'm really enjoying all the feedback from my post. I think that the remarks about the petals shearing off are probably correct. The only reason I prefer the bulet to stay intact as much as possible, yet still mushroom out is so I don't destroy meat with the shrapnell.(sp)