Hornady has strange recommendations

Overkill338

Ok, after the huge thread about the ELD-X on grizzly, I started looking around and asking questions. Hornady DOES NOT reccomend the .30 cal ELD-X for big bears. Then it gets stranger....They DO NOT reccomend the 230gr .338 for brownies. But strangest of all, they DO reccomend the 225gr SST Superformance for "Dangerous Endevers".

You just couldn't make this stuff up....

Screenshot_20190709-185113_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190709-185436_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190709-185237_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hmmm...that is interesting. Hey, their bullets, their call. Doesn't mean people can't use them on whatever they want, but it makes you wonder why they recommend as they do. (Thankfully there is always the Nosler Partition to make everything right with the world again, ha!) :D
I would like to state, I didn't post this to start the debate again. Just don't see how the ELD-X can't work, but the highly fragile SST will ?!

Well, one (ELD-X) is in the PRECISION hunter line, so apparently grizzlies don't need PRECISION...but the SUPERperformance line is, well, SUPER, so how can that NOT work on a Grizzly. Woohoo! I've cracked the code.
Heyyyy good point! With my research and your cyphering, we are unstoppable .....muuahahahahaha

Oh good lord, the 30-06 with a 220 Interlock they reccomend for Cape Buffalo lol

Screenshot_20190709-204031_Samsung Internet.jpg

Then a 338 RCM with a 225 SuperFormance at 2700 will take them down too.

Screenshot_20190709-204935_Samsung Internet.jpg

Then I seen this. I give up trying to understand. 270 ELD-X out of a Lapua just isn't good enough. Better take that 30-06 and the round nose bullet.

Screenshot_20190709-205127_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
You know something is up when the Interlock bullet in the "Custom International" line gets the go ahead on large, dangerous game, but the "ELD-X" bullet does not. Hey, I'm okay with that. The X bullet is merely a derivative of the ELD-M (target) bullet. Wasn't really ever meant for massive penetration on mean, biting things. I'm sure it COULD get the job done, with good shot placement (so could a .22 Hornet if we want to parse this out far enough), but probably not the "best" choice when Hornady has other, better penetrating options.

But I'm confused...SUPERperformance ammo is one thing (it can take down ANYTHING! It's SUPER!) but CUSTOM INTERNATIONAL ammo? Maybe it can only take down Canadian and Russian Grizzlies? Not applicable to AMERICAN brownies...

You know something is up when the Interlock bullet in the "Custom International" line gets the go ahead on large, dangerous game, but the "ELD-X" bullet does not. Hey, I'm okay with that. The X bullet is merely a derivative of the ELD-M (target) bullet. Wasn't really ever meant for massive penetration on mean, biting things. I'm sure it COULD get the job done, with good shot placement (so could a .22 Hornet if we want to parse this out far enough), but probably not the "best" choice when Hornady has other, better penetrating options.

But I'm confused...SUPERperformance ammo is one thing (it can take down ANYTHING! It's SUPER!) but CUSTOM INTERNATIONAL ammo? Maybe it can only take down Canadian and Russian Grizzlies? Not applicable to AMERICAN brownies...
Lool at the post above yours. The 338 Lapua cant do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts