Hornady GMX bullets....who's using them?

scotsgun

One of my syndicate shoots will shortly ban lead and i can't get on with barnes bullets. There's just been too many occassions unpredictable results.

So what are your opinions of the GMX bullets (other than they are bloody expensive!)?

I have shot factory Hornady with the GMX in my 270 and 300WM. Neither rifle liked them very much with groups between 1.5-2" at 100. I guess that would kill an animal but I'm not happy with that. Switched to federal loaded with Barnes and I'm under 1" at 100 yards but will get a fire every now and then.

If you reload your experience may be better with the GMX

Not a lot ppl use gmx in the last decade I guess,

Edited to add: thread started in 2010

Last edited:
My .308 loves the 165 GMX, accuracy wise. I'm hoping to punch a hog shoulder soon to see how well it penetrates and holds together.

I've been using the 100gr GMX in my 6.8SPC AR on whitetails for 5 or 6 years now and have had good results with them. My gun likes them (and it's not a high dollar AR build. Rock River barrel on a built upper & lower). Shoots 1MOA consistently. Terminal performance has been good and always get clean pass throughs with good blood trails. I don't think anything has gone further than 75 yards or so.

I like them on a small caliber like I'm shooting because I feel like I want to pick up any extra penetration I can. I'm putting together a .308 for next season and I'm going to try out some solid copper loads (TTSX & GMX) but I'm also going to try some lead jacketed stuff like the Berger, Accubond, SST etc. bc I don't feel like I necessarily need all the penetration available in the bigger caliber especially on whitetails inside of 300 yards which is my hunting situation.

My $.02.