Hornady eldm?

I hunted with exclusively with amax until their redesign and now I shoot only eldms for hunting. They have a better 'Berger effect' than the Berger's do in my opinion they're just not marketed that way. 7 bull elk and a bunch of mule deer almost all big bodied and mature ranging from 70yds to 811yds. Flawless performance, they really shine past 500 yds where a bonded bullet won't expand, just can't shoot bones
YUP,.. THIS ^^^^
IF, you feel the need to, Shoot BONE use an,.. Accubond, Partition, Hammer, or, Berger, HUNTING VLD / Classic Hunter !
Personally, I like the,.. "Scramble", the "Boiler Room" and the Dead Right THERE,.. concept !
Bergers and/ or, the RIGHT choice of, ELD-M's,.. will give me, THAT !

Last edited:
YUP,.. THIS ^^^^
IF, you feel the need to, Shoot BONE use an,.. Accubond, Partition, Hammer, or, Berger, HUNTING VLD / Classic Hunter !
Personally, I like the,.. "Scramble", the "Boiler Room" and the Dead Right THERE,.. concept !
boiler room is great if you don't hit a rib. that's what I was dealing with. Sounds like you've had great results with ELD-Ms. Personally, I won't shoot another one at big elk. Been there, done that.

@ Greybeard,..
Pretty Happy with, the Accuracy of ELD-M's and would use, the 147 or, 140's, on,.. Deer / Antelope
Was "looking at", the 147's, "possibly" for, Elk, BUT,.. NO "need" as,..
I've been, real Happy with, my .270 WSM, 140 grain, Classic Hunter Bullet's @ 3,185 FPS,.. on Elk !
The Berger Classic Hunter, .270 Bullet, was, the "Hammer of, Thor",.. this year !
"If, it ain't, Broke",.. is,.. MY Motto ! And,.. ALWAYS,.. "Use ENOUGH, Gun" !

Last edited:
@ Greybeard,..
Pretty Happy with, the Accuracy of ELD-M's and would use, the 147 or, 140's, on,.. Deer / Antelope
Was "looking at", the 147's, "possibly" for, Elk, BUT,.. NO "need" as,..
I've been, real Happy with, my .270 WSM, 140 Classic Hunter Bullet's @ 3,185 FPS,.. on Elk !
The Berger Classic Hunter, .270 Bullet, was, the "Hammer of, Thor",.. this year !
"If, it ain't, Broke",.. is,.. MY Motto ! And,.. ALWAYS,.. "Use ENOUGH, Gun" !
sounds like a killer recipe for elk! Thanks for sharing.

YUP,.. THIS ^^^^
I have used ELD X 200 GR in my 300 wm 1;8 28" tikka at 3195 fps for black bears. 150 yards frontal shot through the chest . It dropped right there, not a wiggle. Second bear with the same load at 50 yards through the heart and lungs also droped without a wiggle. in both cases the bullet did not exit but the internals were mush. It is a very effective bullet that i would not hesitate to use at 800 to 1000 yards for elk or moose. It is accurate and deadly. I have shot many coyotes with this load. It is not designed to be gentle on the fur. The exits have always been 6-12" across on coyotes.

I have used ELD X 200 GR in my 300 wm 1;8 28" tikka at 3195 fps for black bears. 150 yards frontal shot through the chest . It dropped right there, not a wiggle. Second bear with the same load at 50 yards through the heart and lungs also droped without a wiggle. in both cases the bullet did not exit but the internals were mush. It is a very effective bullet that i would not hesitate to use at 800 to 1000 yards for elk or moose. It is accurate and deadly. I have shot many coyotes with this load. It is not designed to be gentle on the fur. The exits have always been 6-12" across on coyotes.
I've heard great reports on ELD-X. Starting work ups on the 212ELD-X 300PRC. So far it looks promising for accuracy. Haven't killed any bug game yet with it. I've used 143 ELD-X in 6.5 PRC. Great deer bullet. Haven't shot any other bug game yet lwith it yet.

Shot 3 elk with eldM 225's with MV 2975. Ranges 180, 780 and 1250

even the 180yd high speed impact shoulder, through both blades and the spine exited leaving a hole you could put your fist through! Super impressed with penetration through bone!

780yd, 2 shoulder shots, both exited

1250yds, 2 shots, 2hits shoulder, 1 exited and 1 recovered in offside skin

Killed over 100 wt deer and pigs with 225eldM too, excellent performance on big game with the eldM. Rolls Elk and flattens WT!!
James

Shot 3 elk with eldM 225's with MV 2975. Ranges 180, 780 and 1250

even the 180yd high speed impact shoulder, through both blades and the spine exited leaving a hole you could put your fist through! Super impressed with penetration through bone!

780yd, 2 shoulder shots, both exited

1250yds, 2 shots, 2hits shoulder, 1 exited and 1 recovered in offside skin

Killed over 100 wt deer and pigs with 225eldM too, excellent performance on big game with the eldM. Rolls Elk and flattens WT!!
James
keep shooting them. As for me I'll never use them on big game again. ELD-X is a much better choice in my experience.