Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

You've been shooting the wrong bonded bullets then or not spending enough time working up a load.

There's nothing at all inherently accurate about a bonded bullet and they will fly the same as a comparable non bonded bullet of the same caliber, weight, form factor etc.
I don't know, but I've found interbond and sirocco II bullets very difficult to load. I've tried them in different calibers and rifles and haven't had very good groups. On the other hand, berger, SST, A-Max, ELD-X all had worked great on most of my rifles. Never tried accubonds so I can´t say anything about them, but interbonds and siroccos had given me a very hard time. They perform great on game but not very accurate on my rifles.

Maybe, as you say I need to spend more time working up my loads, but I'm not a big fan of wasting expensive bullets, powder and barrel life on working up a load. If it seems promising, I twitch it a little bit to make it better, but if I see 2.5-3 MOA groups from the beginning, i just don't waste my money trying to make the bullet work.

I don't know, but I've found interbond and sirocco II bullets very difficult to load. I've tried them in different calibers and rifles and haven't had very good groups. On the other hand, berger, SST, A-Max, ELD-X all had worked great on most of my rifles. Never tried accubonds so I can´t say anything about them, but interbonds and siroccos had given me a very hard time. They perform great on game but not very accurate on my rifles.

Maybe, as you say I need to spend more time working up my loads, but I'm not a big fan of wasting expensive bullets, powder and barrel life on working up a load. If it seems promising, I twitch it a little bit to make it better, but if I see 2.5-3 MOA groups from the beginning, i just don't waste my money trying to make the bullet work.
I've had exactly the opposite experience with them. Never had any trouble in multiple calibers, multiple rifles in each of the calibers, and multiple powders coming up with a decent load.

I won't shoot Sirocco's at game anymore though because I found them to be way too soft, frequently over expand and fail to track through game.

They are one of my preferred coyote bullets though because they fly so well and run so flat due to their BC's.

I did have some issues with the Accubond LR's beyond their inflated BC's in a couple of rifles but I never had a very difficult time coming up with an acceptable load.

There's a dozen different ways to work up loads but I've found the shortest route to success to be to simply load everything to mag length work up in one grain increments until I find something promising, then work up/down in half grain increments to get my best accuracy load.

If I want to tweak it any further I'll then adjust the seating depth.

I can't remember the last time I went through more than 30 rounds to get a good load and if I don't have one by then I'll move on to something else because not every chamber likes every bullet, powder, load, etc.

Nice long thread, went through quite a few pages and gave up looking for the answer to the following question. What experiences are you guys having with the 220GR in a 300RUM with a 1:10 twist? Can I get good results with this projectile from a 1:10 twist 300RUM. The elevation where I hunt is 2100FT and my local range elevation is 1250FT if that helps.

The 212's some had issues with getting them to shoot. The 208's and 220's didn't have many complaints.

Flattened a pig last Sunday with the 143. Little over 100 yard shot. Have yet to have a single issue that wasn't shooter related with this bullet.

Pondering giving the 220 a go out of my 300AX. I know not as sleek as the 212gr but I should work wonderfully hopefully over 3200fps.

Flattened a pig last Sunday with the 143. Little over 100 yard shot. Have yet to have a single issue that wasn't shooter related with this bullet.

Pondering giving the 220 a go out of my 300AX. I know not as sleek as the 212gr but I should work wonderfully hopefully over 3200fps.
Did you recover the bullet or was it a pass through? Damage?

Sailed right through. Clean exit about thumb size. Lungs were fairly shredded, massive clot in the chest cavity. It did clip the bottom of the spine but I could see no indication that it bothered the bullet

Here's the hog. Little bigger than I thought but didn't matter this is combo has DRT every hog I let loose on.

Attachments

• 6F1A7510-2617-4EC2-A44D-0DD839F4E926.jpeg
    6F1A7510-2617-4EC2-A44D-0DD839F4E926.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 168
  • 0A666ABC-F1C2-484F-A603-FB59418097C8.jpeg
    0A666ABC-F1C2-484F-A603-FB59418097C8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 183
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.