Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Haven't run them to distance to check, but from what I've seen from others its pretty close

Okay cool, keep us updated on how they do at distance. I haven't heard any complaints about the BC being off yet and we haven't had a problem with them either.

Okay cool, keep us updated on how they do at distance. I haven't heard any complaints about the BC being off yet and we haven't had a problem with them either.

Not sure how far you are calling distance, but I'm running the 162 eldx in my 7 Rem and I'm using a g7 of 0.318 and they have been bang on out to 934 yards. I have shot some groups that really impressed me. Shot one 6 shot 6" group followed by a 2 shot group that was 2" or less. Really liking this bullet.

I just re read my post and I can see where you are coming from. I was not suggesting that he actually load 51 grains, but was making a point that the case would hold a lot more RL26 so he should be able to use it even though the 4831 did not work. Hope that makes sense......Rich
I've been loading some 7mm STW's with 78gr of RL26 this week and was surprised at how much room there is in the case leftover even with the 162's loaded to magazine length. A guy could overdo it with RL26 in a hurry if he wasn't paying close attention.

Not sure how far you are calling distance, but I'm running the 162 eldx in my 7 Rem and I'm using a g7 of 0.318 and they have been bang on out to 934 yards. I have shot some groups that really impressed me. Shot one 6 shot 6" group followed by a 2 shot group that was 2" or less. Really liking this bullet.
You should be proud of that. On my best day with the best bullets ever made I'm not sure I could match that.

You should be proud of that. On my best day with the best bullets ever made I'm not sure I could match that.

Yeah i was proud of that and actually suprised with my self. I dont consider my self a long range guy , I just like to try once in a while. My son is 12 and that same day he hit it 2 out of 4 shots. Here is pics of the steel from that day.

Attachments

• IMG_3578.jpg
    IMG_3578.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3582.jpg
    IMG_3582.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 116
Yeah i was proud of that and actually suprised with my self. I dont consider my self a long range guy , I just like to try once in a while. My son is 12 and that same day he hit it 2 out of 4 shots. Here is pics of the steel from that day.
Now that would make me proud! Congrats to you both.

I'm getting ready to purchase a barrel for a 300 wsm build. The 200 eld-x is one that I'm going to experiment with. Any thoughts on a 9.5 twist vs the standard 10 twist for this bullet?

I'm getting ready to purchase a barrel for a 300 wsm build. The 200 eld-x is one that I'm going to experiment with. Any thoughts on a 9.5 twist vs the standard 10 twist for this bullet?

What is your elevation?

if your lower elevation then I would go 9.5 or even 9 twist, that way if you ever decide to try the really heavy pills like the Berger 230 or the ELD-M 225, you will be able to properly stabilize them. Any long range 30 cal much bigger than a .308, I personally would go 1 in 9 twist, and I live at 7,000 ft.

What is your elevation?

if your lower elevation then I would go 9.5 or even 9 twist, that way if you ever decide to try the really heavy pills like the Berger 230 or the ELD-M 225, you will be able to properly stabilize them. Any long range 30 cal much bigger than a .308, I personally would go 1 in 9 twist, and I live at 7,000 ft.

+1 to everything codyadams said. I recently just built a .308 Norma Mag, which has similar ballistics to the .300 WSM, and I went with a 1:9 twist. I plan to shoot the 208gr ELD-M, but if I ever decide to try the Berger 215s and 230s or the Hornady 225gr ELD I will have enough twist to stabilize them at my elevation (1200) at any temperature range.

Why wait for a 9.5 tw barrel to be made @ 1200' of elevation and above, 2400fps and above will stabilize the 230 berger OTM. You can go to bullets.com or amazon or any number of other sites and order a 10tw barrel that will ship same day.
Run the numbers in JBM or Berger's twist calculator. Even standing in the surf at the beach if you can reach 2700fps with the same 230 berger you are @ 1.5 stability factor.
If your getting a barrel to shoot a mile or more a 9 may show some benefits however if going that distance you should consider twisting it left hand to mitigate spin drift back to 0. That would be the only equation I could justify and a 300wsm wouldn't be the cartridge in that equation in my eyes. A 300 lapua or Norma or Rum

Why wait for a 9.5 tw barrel to be made @ 1200' of elevation and above, 2400fps and above will stabilize the 230 berger OTM. You can go to bullets.com or amazon or any number of other sites and order a 10tw barrel that will ship same day.
Run the numbers in JBM or Berger's twist calculator. Even standing in the surf at the beach if you can reach 2700fps with the same 230 berger you are @ 1.5 stability factor.
If your getting a barrel to shoot a mile or more a 9 may show some benefits however if going that distance you should consider twisting it left hand to mitigate spin drift back to 0. That would be the only equation I could justify and a 300wsm wouldn't be the cartridge in that equation in my eyes. A 300 lapua or Norma or Rum

Maybe in the summer months, but when you dip down below 56 the 230 OTM becomes marginally stable. Why live on the edge when you can just order a Bartlein .30cal 1:9 from bugholes.com?

Maybe in the summer months, but when you dip down below 56 the 230 OTM becomes marginally stable. Why live on the edge when you can just order a Bartlein .30cal 1:9 from bugholes.com?
Your not near the edge at your elevation till your muzzle velocity is below 2400 fps. If your load loses that much velocity your load sucked to begin with. With all of the advancements in powder technology as well as information it you don't use it it's meaningless.
I lose less than 35fps in the rifles I use from my home range in the summer to winter cold weather coyote hunting. Mostly subzero. I live 1.5 miles from the high tide mark on Cape Cod 32' above sea level my home range(now closed due to politics) is at 24' above sea level. When I hunt at mom's elevation is above 1400' to above 3500'
If a 9tw gives you that kind of confidence go for it but in real world conditions especially a cut rifle barrel a 10 covers the velocities a 300wsm can shoot the 230 or 225eld's 240smk is different as are the big monometals. Neither of which are great for a wsm application.
If your legally restricted to shoot non lead then a 8tw to shoot the big hammers or GS bullets is needed. Not the same equation and unless your restricted you give up alot of bc and add in more correction needed due to tighter twist over the 1k threshold.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts