Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Just received some of the 30 cal 178 gr ELD-X with the new colored tip. I recieved 5 boxes. However, I noticed that the BC noted on them dont quite match. Three of the boxes have G1 BC .552 and G7 BC .278. Two of the boxes have G1 BC .535 and G7 BC .271. All of the boxes are identical and have the #3074. Why do the BCs not match? I heard about the color switch and trademark issues. But whats up with the different BC?

Just received some of the 30 cal 178 gr ELD-X with the new colored tip. I recieved 5 boxes. However, I noticed that the BC noted on them dont quite match. Three of the boxes have G1 BC .552 and G7 BC .278. Two of the boxes have G1 BC .535 and G7 BC .271. All of the boxes are identical and have the #3074. Why do the BCs not match? I heard about the color switch and trademark issues. But whats up with the different BC?

I heard from one of the members that Hornady actually changed there #'s to accommodate other manufacturers; if you can believe that!:rolleyes: Something about based on 200 yards? All I can say is, use the higher ones as they have been spot on with the 143 6.5's. What a novelty; someone actually representing there b.c.'s as LOWER.

Bullet recovered for 6.5 143 ELD-X 89.5 gr .595-.600"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 117
Yup, I ordered some too.....

I now have 3 boxes of the 147 ELD-M coming from Midway that I'm going to test out in my .260 AI with a 30" tube, I'm going to try H4831sc, H1000 and possibly IMR 7828. I emailed Hornady asking about reloading data....we shall see where that goes. I have my doubts about them being able to provide anything for a 260 ackley with their new 147. I was able to get over 3000 with the 143 ELD-X without excessive pressure, and my accurate load was 2975. If I can get 2900 with the 147, running the G7 bc through my applied ballistics it gives me .8 MOA less drift with a 10mph wind, 200 more ft lbs, 100 fps more velocity, and 1.5 MOA or so less drop at 1000 yds than my 140 Berger VLD load. That's pretty significant...

I now have 3 boxes of the 147 ELD-M coming from Midway that I'm going to test out in my .260 AI with a 30" tube, I'm going to try H4831sc, H1000 and possibly IMR 7828. I emailed Hornady asking about reloading data....we shall see where that goes. I have my doubts about them being able to provide anything for a 260 ackley with their new 147. I was able to get over 3000 with the 143 ELD-X without excessive pressure, and my accurate load was 2975. If I can get 2900 with the 147, running the G7 bc through my applied ballistics it gives me .8 MOA less drift with a 10mph wind, 200 more ft lbs, 100 fps more velocity, and 1.5 MOA or so less drop at 1000 yds than my 140 Berger VLD load. That's pretty significant...

This may be a little off topic but what do you think the gain per inch of barrel length is on the 260AI when comparing a 30 inch tube to a 26. Thinking about changing my wifes 243 to something different in the 26 caliber.

Sounds good Cody. Are you going to test expansion too?

Well, my deer season is over and elk season closes the 14th, so I don't think I will get to try them on big game, however a coyote or two may become the victim of some this winter. But, if someone wants me to, I'm sure I can sacrifice a few milk jugs or phone books or whatever media would be good to compare with for the sake of ballistic experimentation :cool:

I have a sneaking suspicion they will be very similar to the A-MAX, which at the velocity I will be shooting, is fine with me, as I have killed 3 elk, 2 deer, and a moose with the .308 168 A-MAX going 2675, all were under 150 yards accept the 2 deer, which were 412 yards and 250 yards, and they performed awesome, all exited accept one of my 2 shoulder hits on my moose, and it was a square shoulder shot so I'm not surprised it didn't exit. I would start to be concerned about close range shots if my impact velocity was much over 3000 fps, But I have seen good performance with the A-MAX in the velocity range I will be using them at.

Well, my deer season is over and elk season closes the 14th, so I don't think I will get to try them on big game, however a coyote or two may become the victim of some this winter. But, if someone wants me to, I'm sure I can sacrifice a few milk jugs or phone books or whatever media would be good to compare with for the sake of ballistic experimentation :cool:

I have a sneaking suspicion they will be very similar to the A-MAX, which at the velocity I will be shooting, is fine with me, as I have killed 3 elk, 2 deer, and a moose with the .308 168 A-MAX going 2675, all were under 150 yards accept the 2 deer, which were 412 yards and 250 yards, and they performed awesome, all exited accept one of my 2 shoulder hits on my moose, and it was a square shoulder shot so I'm not surprised it didn't exit. I would start to be concerned about close range shots if my impact velocity was much over 3000 fps, But I have seen good performance with the A-MAX in the velocity range I will be using them at.

I agree 100% with the A-Max! The ELDX will be an A-Max with a higher b.c. The A-max, IMO, would expand down to near 1300', so I don't know why this won't be a good choice......Rich

I did see somewhere however that the 147 ELD-M is the same length as the 143 ELD-X, I'm interested to get them and see if this is actually the case. I know either way they will stabilize in my 1 in 8 twist, especially at my elevation (6600-7500 ft) But I just wonder how they will work in my Wyatts dbm. The 143 was touching the lands @ 2.878" OAL (Most of the bullets were within +- .003" oal, so I could just use OAL instead of CBTO) and my max OAL to function in my mag is 2.885".

But I'm finding with the more I load of these ELD bullets, they seem to like to jump. The last 7mm mag I developed a load for with the 162 eld-x shot MOA at .085"-.100" off the lands, ANYWHERE else and it opened up to 2-3" 100 yard groups. VERY picky in that Ruger M77. Also in a Browning A-BOLT 300 win mag, the 200 grain ELD-X didn't shoot well at all when it was .015" off the lands, but when loaded to Hornady's specs for OAL, they did just fine. Anyone else finding this with these bullets??

I did see somewhere however that the 147 ELD-M is the same length as the 143 ELD-X, I'm interested to get them and see if this is actually the case. I know either way they will stabilize in my 1 in 8 twist, especially at my elevation (6600-7500 ft) But I just wonder how they will work in my Wyatts dbm. The 143 was touching the lands @ 2.878" OAL (Most of the bullets were within +- .003" oal, so I could just use OAL instead of CBTO) and my max OAL to function in my mag is 2.885".

But I'm finding with the more I load of these ELD bullets, they seem to like to jump. The last 7mm mag I developed a load for with the 162 eld-x shot MOA at .085"-.100" off the lands, ANYWHERE else and it opened up to 2-3" 100 yard groups. VERY picky in that Ruger M77. Also in a Browning A-BOLT 300 win mag, the 200 grain ELD-X didn't shoot well at all when it was .015" off the lands, but when loaded to Hornady's specs for OAL, they did just fine. Anyone else finding this with these bullets??

The ELDX and ELDM 143 and 147 are identical in length according to the tech at Hornady.
I have been loading the 143's at .005" off the lands and shooting bugholes. They did not like .015-.020" etc., but I did not try jumping them a long way. Maybe I should?

This may be a little off topic but what do you think the gain per inch of barrel length is on the 260AI when comparing a 30 inch tube to a 26. Thinking about changing my wifes 243 to something different in the 26 caliber.

Not totally sure...this is the only .260 AI that I have, but I regularly see people getting the 140's going 2900-2950 with 26" tubes. The most I have got with H-4831 is around 3020 average with my higher loads, but those were grouping .75 MOA or so, where as my load going 2930 with the berger is shooting .25-.5 MOA if I do my part. My dad's 6.5x55 with a 24" barrel is shooting 2855 with the same berger 140's just below max, if that gives you any idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.