Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Been thinking about trying these in my 300 Norma. Been using the 230 bergers and got great results but as far as a hunting bullet, these look to have some of the best ADVERTISED b.c. out there. Anyone used or tested the 212 ELD-X bullets? I think the 220's b.c. is surprisingly low compared to the 208 and 212 ELD. I feel like 212 would be better suited for my norma but at .40$ a shot compared to the .61$ for the berger, I feel like they would be worth a try. Probably a bit flatter than the 230's I have been using as well.

thanks guys

So I have had some good luck in my 300 Win Mag with the RL-22 powder pushing the 200gr ELD-X at what hornady shows as max load. Trying to go over that load by .1 grain actually makes the cases stick after firing so their data was good for my rifle. But I am pulling 3004 fps and getting .5moa out of my factory 5R Gen 2 rifle so I am happy.

However, being the tester that I am......

I was wanting to try some Retumbo behind them which I have never loaded with before. Problem is I am not sure where to start. Looking at the load data for Retumbo on Hogden's website shows the following;

200 GR. NOS PART
Hodgdon Retumbo .308" 3.340" 79.0 2,798 45,700 CUP 84.0C 2,962 52,300 CUP

200 GR. NOS AB
Hodgdon Retumbo .308" 3.340" 73.0 2,703 44,600 CUP 78.0C 2,872 52,100 CUP

So where would you guys start at? 79gr like the Partition shows or 73gr like the Accubond shows? Somewhere in between? The Accubond shows max load compressed at 1gr under what the partition shows as the starting load.... Huh? Lol!

I have only loaded these new ELD-X for my 300winmag since I just recently moved up to that from my 30-06 which I loaded 180 accubonds in so I have no other projectile experience with the 300 WinMag.

TIA
Tony

Been thinking about trying these in my 300 Norma. Been using the 230 bergers and got great results but as far as a hunting bullet, these look to have some of the best ADVERTISED b.c. out there. Anyone used or tested the 212 ELD-X bullets? I think the 220's b.c. is surprisingly low compared to the 208 and 212 ELD. I feel like 212 would be better suited for my norma but at .40$ a shot compared to the .61$ for the berger, I feel like they would be worth a try. Probably a bit flatter than the 230's I have been using as well.

thanks guys

I shot some water jugs with the 212's back in March at 50 yards from my 300 Long Range Hunter (30/338 Norma Mag Imp) ........ video up on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaLdNHtJ2j4

Look like they performed pretty well for you! I am having a REALLY hard time finding a few of these to test out. If anyone knows of a super secret spot that carries these please let me know. I think it would be a nice change up from the bergers. And at 0.41$ a shot I'd love to try em

ishootkittens

I got all the bullets pictured off either Sportsman's or Cabela's website. Just check every now and then and when they have them put in an order. I had the stuff from Sportsman's shipped to my local store and paid no shipping. The stuff from Cabela's was on sale for $31 a box. Takes a little patience but you can get them. (They shoot good to - all of them.) Best seating depths varied from 0.030" off to stuffed right on the lands depending on rifle/bullet. I'd start 0.020" off as several worked good there.

Attachments

• eldx bullets.jpg
    eldx bullets.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 68
Just checked. Sportsman's still has the 220's in stock. They have been there for a month. My buddy used them in his full custom 300RUM (McMillan/Nightforce etc.) to shoot a 0.6" 3-shot group at 200 yards last week so they can shoot very good with the right setup.

I just need 1k more of the 212's and I will have what I placed orders for.

All weights available in all calibers available have shot good for me.
Especially with HBN it cut down on the copper fouling that I was experiencing.
Both stock rigs and full customs.
Picked up a lot of these bullets from local guys who wanted to sell what they had because they either didnt like the performances they got or they fouled their barrels.

Really interested to see on game performanc.
Maybe some bear hunting this spring will be the first test for me.

Has anyone done in measurements on the precision hunter ammo in 6.5 creedmoor with the 143's?

OAL of 2.806

There load development data uses an OAL of 2.800.

They shoot sub moa (5 shots) at a little over 2700fps out of a 26" Savage LRH.

When using the Hornady OAL length tool the measurements I'm getting are significantly less than the 2.80+ that the factory come in at. I do not see them releasing an unsafe length. Thoughts?

Getting in on this thread, and also a question. I have built a savage short action chambered in the 6.5-284 norma. (Don't worry the action was modified by a competent gunsmith to fit a full length cartridge). This is my first 6.5. I've got the Shilen 5R SS barrel 26". I plan to shoot the 143 eld-x molied using H4831. My question is; is anyone using this barrel, bullet, and powder combo? If so what is your load data?
Thanks
Steve

We have hundreds of thousands of the new Hornady ELD-X bullets in all calibers and types in stock and for sale. We usually don't carry ammo components for resale, but for this bullet, we knew we needed to do what we could to get them out there.

https://www.gunwerks.com/store/reloading/hornady-eld-x-bullets

Thanks Aaron - order placed. Got to apologize, never thought of ordering these from you and been trying to find them everywhere as I want to try them over using Bergers. I'll spread the word. Thanks again.

I was able to get out to the range today and shoot the 143 ELD-X's out of my 6.5 WSM. I was unable to check for accuracy due to the high winds but was able to work up to near max load with N570. 67 grains yielded 3254 fps and 66 was 3219. 67 had an almost imperceptable extractor mark (more like just a small shiny spot).

I have been shooting 130 grain Precision Ballistics at 3400 fps (right at max) so I'm pretty happy with anything over 3200 with these 143's in a lower pressure load.

I found a bunch of .284 162gr ELD-Xs at Shooters Bench in Boise this morning. I also saw some 175's, but those are too heavy for my little 7mm-08 and its factory Remington barrel...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts