Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

As to powders. Not really too bad if you read the literature that is out there. I found it goes kind of like this:

RL-22/RL-25 high performance and they suck for temp stability and I have had loads fall off a node and shoot bad from a 30 degree change.

RL-17/RL-26/RL-33/RL-50 very high performance and known temp drift of 0.5 fps per degree F (per Nitrochemie who makes them in Switzerland). I find I can live with the temp drift which isn't too bad if I use common sense and develop loads near the temps I expect to use them.

RL-16/RL-23 appear decent for performance and rock solid with temp change per Bofors in Sweden who is the manufacturer.

H1000/Ramshot Magnum - tested by Barnes and shown to be very temp stable

IMR Enduron powders are also supposed to be rock solid (but that stuff is expensive as in over $30 per pound so you won't see me buying it)

Well, I loaded a coarse run up with rl26 also for the 175 eld-x in my 7stw. No vel's this time, only accuracy and pressure using case signs... I'll toss the Oehler in front of it if she shoots well at pressure...

Just checking in to this thread. I will be going to Africa on 5-2-16 and will shoot a Kudu, Oryz, Impala, Warthog, Wildebeest, and maybe a few others with a .300 Win Mag. I'm going to shoot the 200g ELD-X. I'll post my results when I get back. Good thread!

Just checking in to this thread. I will be going to Africa on 5-2-16 and will shoot a Kudu, Oryz, Impala, Warthog, Wildebeest, and maybe a few others with a .300 Win Mag. I'm going to shoot the 200g ELD-X. I'll post my results when I get back. Good thread!

This will be VERY important data and I look forward to the results. Take lots of pics of bullets and wound damage if you could. The best of luck on your hunt......Rich

This will be VERY important data and I look forward to the results. Take lots of pics of bullets and wound damage if you could. The best of luck on your hunt......Rich

Indeed Rich,
Pics of recovered bullets is always important. If possible.

The New Hornady ELD-X All Range hunting bullet penetrated both shoulders. The picture shows the exit wound. This from the little 6.5-284 Norma with a 143 grain bullet. New Zealand Stag 525 Yards.

Attachments

• 20160408_102126.jpg
    20160408_102126.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Lots of great information. Glad these bullets are working for Gunwerks and I hope to see more success with them!

No problem on the powder thing... You may have saved me a bit of trouble too as I have some 175 eld-x loaded with rl33 in my 7stw as a sort of third strike and you are out test for the powder. I'll be sure to load some with either retumbo or rl25 as a foil to rl33 before I shoot the pills.

No luck so far... 1.5 moa groups. it wasn't conditions either as my lh bdl in 300rum turned in a sub .5 moa group yesterday with a 225 hdy hpbt and rl33... .95" @ 200yds...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.