Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

I've been working with the 212 in my RUM lately and have had excellent results thus far. I started with a rough seating depth test and found that they don't mind a jump. Next, I performed an Ocw to find a powder node. My node ended up 88.5 - 88.7 grains of retumbo in Nosler cases with a 212 seated .095 of the lands. I will run 88.5. 88.6, and 88.7 across the magneto to see which one does the best. My 330 yard groups were ~ 1" ctc.

So has anyone killed anything with these bullets yet? I'm a bit late and it may have already been asked and answered but if the tips were melting why not go with an aluminum tip of similar profile?

So has anyone killed anything with these bullets yet? I'm a bit late and it may have already been asked and answered but if the tips were melting why not go with an aluminum tip of similar profile?

No clue on game taken with them, but the aluminum tip deal boils down to cost I would think... Because from what I've heard the aluminum tipped bullets were by far and away their best design.

Its weird my 30 cal 212 eldx have a cool ruby red color. My 7mag eldx 175 are fire engine red? Why different tips between the two?

No clue on game taken with them, but the aluminum tip deal boils down to cost I would think... Because from what I've heard the aluminum tipped bullets were by far and away their best design.

Probably right, just seemed like they tried to reinvent the wheel with the route they took.

Got 2 boxes off 7mm 162 grain from Midway today.Mine have the solid color tips.Not the clear ruby red.

Attachments

• raw.jpg
    raw.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 70
  • raw-1.jpeg
    raw-1.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 73
Got 2 boxes off 7mm 162 grain from Midway today.Mine have the solid color tips.Not the clear ruby red.

That's slightly concerning, I wonder if it's possible some of the rounds with inconsistent tip colors are really the heat shield tips and that there are errors happening during manufacturing.

That's slightly concerning, I wonder if it's possible some of the rounds with inconsistent tip colors are really the heat shield tips and that there are errors happening during manufacturing.

I was wondering if 30 cal is ruby red, 7mag fire engine red and 6.5???? What color are they?

This is what I came home to from Cabela's today after ten days of traveling!

Hopefully my new Proof 7mm RM will like these when it finally arrives! Meanwhile I have 162s on backorder as well. Fingers cross!

~Robert

Attachments

• ELD-X_175gr.jpg
    ELD-X_175gr.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 55
I got a response back from hornady that said they are coming out with a .277 for 2017--- it will be 147 grain....it is still in testing phase though so it could change

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.