Hornady ELD-X bullets

The two 208s

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 134
I know some of these bullets have been delivered. If anyone has shot them, please give us a report on your findings on how they perform, load data etc. Hornady lists very few loads so we need good field experience info. Thanks!
Paul

i still hope to see some real world field tests on these bullets besides those from Gunwerks. Anybody?

Sorry guys. I'm waiting to run all my brass in an annealer so they are more balanced right now they are work hardened and inconsistent. I have to send it to a buddy since I don't have an annealing machine.

Just got word I will have two boxes of 285gr bullets shipped to me after a long wait. Will post results of how they perform in my 338 Lapua.

Just got word I will have two boxes of 285gr bullets shipped to me after a long wait. Will post results of how they perform in my 338 Lapua.

I am sure you are aware that the 285g bullets are not the ELD X bullets. They are "ELD M" which is their match bullets. Completely different design.

Good BC's but not recommended for hunting. However, the ballistician from Hornady told me they are no different than some of the other top open tip bullets out there. With the exception of their new heat shield ballistic tip and they not not tested them for terminal performance.

Ray

I am sure you are aware that the 285g bullets are not the ELD X bullets. They are "ELD M" which is their match bullets. Completely different design.

Good BC's but not recommended for hunting. However, the ballistician from Hornady told me they are no different than some of the other top open tip bullets out there. With the exception of their new heat shield ballistic tip and they not not tested them for terminal performance.

Ray

Thanks for the reply, Yes I understand they are the "match" bullets. However my plan is to hunt with them if everything works out and they shoot appropriately. As with the bullets I hunt with now "168gr VLD, and Accubonds" I honestly try to always take the ethical approach when it comes to hunting and never shoot farther than my capabilities.

And most importantly,,,,, I consider shot placement priority #1 !!!!

wbyfireman,

I agree totally! If the Hornady 285 ELD M bullets are contructed anything like a SMK they should have better expansion because of the ballistic tip at long range. It all depends on jacket thickness and bearing surface with the match bullet.

Would be very interested in your findings with the 285's! Good luck

I have 285's backordered at Midway. I have already received 6.5 143's and 30 cal 220's ELD X bullets.

Ray

I'm still looking for some field experience with these bullets. Somebody please let us know. Thanks!
Paul

I've been following this post and others on the ELD-X.

FWIW, I'm seeing more and more of the .30 cal ELD-X in varieties of weights in our local Sportsman's Warehouse and Bass Pro here Las Vegas. I'm really tempted to buy a box or so. There are other calibers as well but I don't keep up with those.

Robert

I've been following this post and others on the ELD-X.

FWIW, I'm seeing more and more of the .30 cal ELD-X in varieties of weights in our local Sportsman's Warehouse and Bass Pro here Las Vegas. I'm really tempted to buy a box or so. There are other calibers as well but I don't keep up with those.

Robert

I was out yesterday shooting 30 cal ELD-X 200gr in my 30-338mag. We have so much snow here Co that I didn't get chance to check velocity. Were suppose to be clear thru next week and I'll get out next week and run load over chrono. I didn't get pass 100yds either but accuracy looks good at 100 and once I get it out to 300yds I should know more.

I have a sporterized Mosin Nagant that I built. Of all my guns I have it is by far my favorite. I suppose because it fits me perfect because I built it. Anyways, it shoots .3-.4" groups with SMK bullets but I was always afraid to hunt with those. From testing several years ago it did shoot .308" 150 grain Nosler BT bullets at 3/4" to 1" at 100. I did take my biggest buck ever with a heart shot and the Nosler load at 345 yards a few years ago. But I thought since this ELD X is made in match design that this gun may shoot it well and still be a hunting bullet. I wanted some 212 grain since it has the highest BC and I thought the longer bearing surface would help it stabilize in that factory barrel (slugs .309"). I couldn't get a hold of any 212 grain but did find some 200 at cabelas the other day and picked those up. It took me all of 9 shots to find aload that shoots .6". With a little tuning I may be able to tighten it up some. But I'm excited to have a hunting load that shoots almost as tight as my match loads.

Load I worked up is IMR 4350 48.5 grains, bullet Jammed .015", Fed match 210M, grouped .6" @100 yards

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 103
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.