Hornady ELD-X bullets

Skip Davidson,
While y'all were testing the ELD bullets, did you do any trial on game with the Match bullets or were you only using the X version? Please enlighten us. Apparently Gunwerks has the only field experience with these new bullets thus far. Thanks.
Paul

I was figuring the 6.5 was a retipped 140 amax. But it is obviously a totally new bullet when put side by side

That's odd. I've some 140 AMAX and 140 ELDMs and they're near identical. The bearing surface is about .008" longer on the ELDM but that could easily be manufacturing tolerances between lots.

The 143 ELDX however, is quite a bit different.

The same with the 208s. The ELDM's bearing surface is slightly longer .010" but other than that, they appear to be unchanged. Except for the tip of course.

That's odd. I've some 140 AMAX and 140 ELDMs and they're near identical. The bearing surface is about .008" longer on the ELDM but that could easily be manufacturing tolerances between lots.

The same with the 208s. The ELDM's bearing surface is slightly longer .010" but other than that, they appear to be unchanged. Except for the tip of course.

This is very good news...

I just couldn't see Hornady retooling machinery to make a new design and changing a existing proven design. Adding the new tip is a obvious route.... But i wasn't sure......

Anybody got their paws on the 7mm variety of these yet?
I've got an order for 100 of each and am crossing my fingers my new rifle will shoot the hell out of one of them!
I'm curious to see how they perform on game up close (<40 yards) because I'm sure they'll do fine at distance. I could see that 175gr being an awesome all-around critter getter for anything that roams any place I'd ever want to hunt.

Anybody got their paws on the 7mm variety of these yet?
I've got an order for 100 of each and am crossing my fingers my new rifle will shoot the hell out of one of them!
I'm curious to see how they perform on game up close (<40 yards) because I'm sure they'll do fine at distance. I could see that 175gr being an awesome all-around critter getter for anything that roams any place I'd ever want to hunt.

If the 7mm is like the 6.5mm they are not so hot up close. I called Hornady about up close. The guy told me they are designed for a MAXIMUM impact velocity of 2500 feet per second. He continued that they were not developed for magnums like the .264 Win Mag or wildcats.

Called Hornady yesterday and spoke with a nice guy from their tech support. They are really excited about the new line of ELD- X bullets. They truly believe that this new line of bullets is the best hunting bullet for the long range hunter to hit the market.

The tech said their BC's with the ELD-X and ELD M's will rival any other open tipped bullet on the market.
Significantly less vertical dispersion at 1000 yards VS's a unmodified open tip bullets.
No fliers that are typically accociated with unmodified open tip bullets.

I was told the ELD-X line is a completely new design and they had to retool everything for the "X" line.
However, the match bullets are retipped with the heatshield ballistic tip.

My main reason for calling was to find out if the longer bearing surface of the ELD- X would affect velocity. The tech could not give me a answer as he said he did not know. However, he said they were getting 2,800fps out of a 212g ELD'X with 24" barrel.

The bad news is that there are no plans at this time for a .338 285-X. Tech said that if enough people asked for this bullet they might consider making them.

Ray

Called Hornady yesterday and spoke with a nice guy from their tech support. They are really excited about the new line of ELD- X bullets. They truly believe that this new line of bullets is the best hunting bullet for the long range hunter to hit the market.

The tech said their BC's with the ELD-X and ELD M's will rival any other open tipped bullet on the market.
Significantly less vertical dispersion at 1000 yards VS's a unmodified open tip bullets.
No fliers that are typically accociated with unmodified open tip bullets.

I was told the ELD-X line is a completely new design and they had to retool everything for the "X" line.
However, the match bullets are retipped with the heatshield ballistic tip.

My main reason for calling was to find out if the longer bearing surface of the ELD- X would affect velocity. The tech could not give me a answer as he said he did not know. However, he said they were getting 2,800fps out of a 212g ELD'X with 24" barrel.

The bad news is that there are no plans at this time for a .338 285-X. Tech said that if enough people asked for this bullet they might consider making them.

Ray

When you say they are getting 2,800fps with the 212 ELD-X, you mean with the 300WM, right?

My neighbor just did some measurements for me with the two 208s (Amax and ELD). They are for all practical purposes, identical..... I'm happy happy happy....

I scored a box of the 212 ELD-X today at a Sportsman Wharehouse. I am stoked!
Have already loaded 8 test rounds for my 30-338. It has a fairly long throat and I seated to an OAL of 3.505. that is 25 thousands off the lands. Using H1000 to start off.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.