Hornady Die Won’t Bump Shoulder Beyond 0

General RE LEE

I have a .30 06 Hornady New Dimension Die set and no matter how far I screw the die into the press it will not bump the shoulder beyond 0.00. I have a RCBS die set and to get it to 0.02 bump I have to screw it in so far the press handle goes a little further than half way.

Am I doing something wrong?

It doesn't sound like you're new to trying this but can you go through your process?

I guess what I'm mainly wondering is what type of die and shell holder you're using, plus what comparator you're using. I bet more experienced folks will have something to say tomorrow but I bet the redding multi-holder set can help you out. It comes in 2 thou increments. I'm only intermediate in reloading but tge only alternative I can think of off hand is to shave your dies. Again, I bet someone with more yanks under their belt can help. It's certainly weird to me since dies are generally built with the intention of sizing more than that.

you should place the handle of the press all the way to the down position, then screw the sizer die down until it just touches the shell holder. Then back the die off about a half turn and work back into the bump, adjusting it back down in 1/8th to 1/16th turns less as you get closer…. Unless your press is broken or you forgot to place the shell holder on the ram, that should be fairly universal

Last edited:
Redding makes a comp set that has up to 10 thou shaved off. In increments to dial in bump without moving the die
May need to try another shell holder if yours is too tall. Redding makes a comp set that has up to 10 thou shaved off. In increments to dial in bump without moving the die
This! @General RE LEE, see video below ...

Last edited:
Is the case at or below SAAMI minimum before you start the process?

If no, your process is flawed, see previous posts.

If yes, you will need a custom or modified shell holder or die.

OK guys Redding does NOT make a set of shellholders that are smaller/shorter than regular shellholders which are .125 nominal. The Redding Competition Shellholders are taller to size Less not more. Each Shellholder in the set of 5 is taller by an increment of .002. In other words the shellholders are in order .127, .129, .131, .133, .135 taller than a standard of .125. They are made to set a hard stop at cam over to size less.
They are a really great tool to fine tune your sizing to fit your chamber plus you can use the same die setting with more than one gun without having to readjust your die.
However they do not allow you to size more only Less. They simply keep you from pushing the case into the die as far as a standard shellholder allows.

The simple fix to the OPs problem is to shave a little off of the top of the shellholder. I have done this very successfully by turning the shellholder upside down onto a flat surface and using fine emory cloth. Go slow and check often to get to the sizing you need.

Are you camming your press over. It should cam over abit at the top of the stroke. I have one rcbs die that takes more than I'm used to, but will effectively bump back .002.

I have a .30 06 Hornady New Dimension Die set and no matter how far I screw the die into the press it will not bump the shoulder beyond 0.00.
Does this '0.000' chambering allow the bolt handle to freely turn with the firing pin spring removed?
In other words, what does the 0.000 locally represent?

Does this '0.000' chambering allow the bolt handle to freely turn with the firing pin spring removed?
In other words, what does the 0.000 locally represent?
Yes. The reason to size a case is so that it fits back in the chamber, not to change any dimension by "x" amount. Call me old school but I never measure shoulder bump, I size until the cases fit my chamber with the amount of resistance that I want for the application.