Hornady CX 7mm bullet performance

Prieto9000

I went on a hunt yesterday looking for an Oryx. Some fellow hunters had told me they were super tough animals to kill so I decided to use the new (for me) Hornady CX 150gr bullets loaded for my 7mm rem mag. Bullets performed beautifully, great expansion and complete pass through, vitals were completely destroyed and found a lot of bone debris inside the vitals.
First shot was around 100 yds through some thick bush. I was aiming for a high shoulder shot, but didn't account for the little hump this animals have so the first one went through the animal over the spine. The animal fell down really hard from that shot, but sanded up and ran away requiring a follow up shot. This time I aimed lower and a little farther to the back hitting just behind the shoulder putting him down like it was struck by lightning.
Really happy with the performance. I did got some blood shot on the exit side, but no more than the usual. No bullets were recovered.
IMG_2837.jpeg
IMG_2841.jpeg
IMG_1455.jpeg
IMG_1456.jpeg

Promising bullet, looks good!
Were those handloads? If they were, what did they group like when you put them together, and how far were you jumping them to get accuracy??

I'm in the early stages of developing a load for my 7.21Firebird as a back pocket bullet to turn to if Barnes never gets their **** together turning out 168 LRX bullets again. LRX been my go to for 10+ years, and now can't find them.

So. Hoping for a smoker 150cx load to rival the LRX near as possible.. and most curious about the jump guys are using with the CX

Promising bullet, looks good!
Were those handloads? If they were, what did they group like when you put them together, and how far were you jumping them to get accuracy??

I'm in the early stages of developing a load for my 7.21Firebird as a back pocket bullet to turn to if Barnes never gets their **** together turning out 168 LRX bullets again. LRX been my go to for 10+ years, and now can't find them.

So. Hoping for a smoker 150cx load to rival the LRX near as possible.. and most curious about the jump guys are using with the CX
Yes my friend, I'm using handloads. 69.5 gr retumbo launching them @3110fps. Most of my groups have been sub moa with a couple groups having a flyer now and then. I would say maybe 0.75 moa is a good average.

Congrats on a great Oryx! Thanks for a bit of info on the terminal performance of the CX bullet too! I just bought some to load in my 6.5-300 Wby so this is promising!

Is that a Scimbok? What a cool looking animal.

Oryx are one of the toughest animals I have killed. I have had Cape Buffalo that were far easier to kill than the Oryx.

Sable, Oryx, Zebra and Wildebeest can take some serious punishment. They can all also fall to a single .308 round to the vitals. Go figure.

Is that a Scimbok? What a cool looking animal.

Oryx are one of the toughest animals I have killed. I have had Cape Buffalo that were far easier to kill than the Oryx.

Sable, Oryx, Zebra and Wildebeest can take some serious punishment. They can all also fall to a single .308 round to the vitals. Go figure.
It is!!! They look awesome.