Hornady Comparator "Inserts"

mshaner

Struggling to be certain I have the correct insert for the bullet I'm working with.

In the instructions (I have the 14 piece set) it lists the 14 calibers that the set covers, but when you look at the stamps on the side, they don't do a very good job of telling you which size they're for.

I've done some process of elimination exercises to get to the 30 cal insert, but now I want to work with a 6.5 bullet and there are at least two that work and a possible third...trying to exercise common sense here, but not trusting my findings.

FYI, the stamps on the side go from 1 - 14 and there are fourteen calibers listed in the structions, but the second half of the stamp starts out at .17 (1-17) which makes sense but in the middle of the bunch they go askew and don't follow a logical pattern.

Simply not trusting the cross-referencing. Anybody have this clarified?

Thanks,

Shane

That's what's goofy about the whole thing...you have to say "...I think." I just don't understand why Hornady leaves guesswork to something that demands such precision.

I, also, had determined that to be the one, but it's the SIXTH insert with a "5" on it (if you line them all up)...augh....goofy, goofy, goofy

Thanks,

Shane

OK..."slow brain" confession. I finally put together the pattern on the inserts.

The first number simply denotes that there are 14 of them (1-14)

The second TWO numbers stamped on the insert are the FIRST two numbers of the caliber noted in their instructions (i.e. 6.5-284 Norma caliber would be denoted as "5-26" where the 26 implies a .264 caliber)

It would have been nice to have all three numbers, but I'm guessing a stamping issue came into play.

I guess figuring it out later is better than never:)

Good Afternoon Gents/Ladies,

Shane

I didn't even use any of the numbers on them, I just whipped out the caliper :D

I had the same problem identifying the correct insert for mine. Come up with a better labeling system Hornady! I am going to take the advice given and write the entire caliber on mine......

[...](i.e. 6.5-284 Norma caliber would be denoted as "5-26" where the 26 implies a .264 caliber)[...]

Correct me if I'm wrong. But, I don't beleive there is a .264 caliber. Rather, 26 cal is .264" in dia.

If you measure the insert, you'll find it to be slightly smaller than that since it represents a datum line corresponding to a typical minor diameter within a 26 cal bore associated with the lands rather than the grooves. ...the latter being .264".

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.