Hornady Comparator, Headspace and OAL gauges?

BoomFlop

So, I'm just getting into reloading (have not even set up or loaded a round yet) and will be loading for factory rifles in 223, 7mm-08 and 308 Win.

I have been advised that I need these 3 tools.

I realize the Comparator measures off the Ogive of the bullet vs the tip which is more consistent.

I understand that checking the Headspace from cartridge head to the shoulder will help with not working the brass any more than required.

OAL gauge will allow me to monitor the amount of jump to the lands I have and help choose seating depth (measured with comparator). Do I have to make a fired case?

Let me know what everyone thinks before I purchase any of these tools.

Thank you!!!
Steve

These are very important tools in my opinion to set your dies up correctly the first time. Full length size your brass and bump the shoulder back .002-.003". The headspace comparator will help you do just that by measuring a fired case(measure case before you fire it as well). Make sure you remove the spent primer to aquire an accurate headspace measurement, sometimes the spent primer will slightly protude a thou or so and throw off your measurement. Always measure your loaded rounds off of the ogive for a more consistant measurement, overall length only matters for magazine length restrictions. Your brass will last a long time when sized properly. Buy good brass....

Do you have to make a fired case? No, you don't HAVE to. Hornady makes modified cases for most every cartridge out there but they are SAAMI spec'd, meaning they will fit your chamber and your buddy(s) chamber. Modified cases can be made if you're a tinkerer like myself and a lot of reloaders. It takes a fired case from your rifle's chamber and a 9/32" drill bit and a 5/16-36 tap. Easier done on a lathe, I'm sure, but not everyone has access to them. A drill press will work, just try to get the drilled hole as centered as possible. Sometimes the case will try to spin so you have to put something on the vise jaws to hold it yet not crush the case. You may have to try it a couple of times but it does work.
The OAL gauge works great for finding the lands and grooves with each different type bullet you may try in your barrel. Berger VLDs can be persnickety sometimes and finding the OAL that your rifle likes can take a few tries. There are threads on this forum for finding the optimum seating depth with Bergers. Magazine length is a no brainer for me, just seat it until it fits in my magazine.
I like the Headspace Gauge because it gives you a tangible measurement off the cases datum line after it's been fired. From this you can adjust your sizing die (not neck die) to bump the shoulder back .0015-.002. Your new brass might not need bumping back until after a couple of firings. Depends on your chamber.
Here's where the Universal de-priming die comes in. Like another member mentioned, you should knock the primer out, without resizing the case, to get an precise datum line to case head measurement. This die allows you to do this. I got the Lee and modified it to work with Lapua 6mmBR cases (the flash hole is 1.5mm or 059" and the de-capping pin is bigger). Just something to be aware of. Hornady, RCBS, Lyman and Sinclair all make their version of the de-capping die and some come with smaller pins for SR flash holes. I have used the Lee on 7mm/.300RUM cases down to 6mmBR cases.
All great tools, that I use a lot, for reloaders. Enjoy and ask if you have more questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.