Hornady brass VS. Adg brass (6.5prc)

Interesting. Not to stir things up, but those who have personally used Hornady brass in 6.5 PRC seem to be pleased. All the negative comments seem to be from those who have had bad experience with Hornady brass in other calibers, but have not actually used it in 6.5 PRC.

Anybody have negative experience with Hornady brass in 6.5 PRC? Everything I've come across so far seems to point to this particular brass being good.

I have never had any ADG brass, I hear it is good. I do have mass quantities of Hornady brass. what I do know is that Hornady has never had a mystery flier in any of my calibers. I do cut all necks to uniform length, uniformed the primer pocket, uniformed the flash hole, and reamed the necks. This is after the first firing. I have found that I like Nosler, Norma, Lapua brasses better than Hornady but I will not kick Hornady to the curb just because I have found a brass company that is a little bit better than the un-prepped brass I have already prepped.

Interesting. Not to stir things up, but those who have personally used Hornady brass in 6.5 PRC seem to be pleased. All the negative comments seem to be from those who have had bad experience with Hornady brass in other calibers, but have not actually used it in 6.5 PRC.

Anybody have negative experience with Hornady brass in 6.5 PRC? Everything I've come across so far seems to point to this particular brass being good.
I don't have anything against the Creedmoors, as they are a well engineered design and others make great brass. I don't care for some of Hornady's latest offerings that have to have long bullets seated beyond the neck into the powder space. Hornady does make great bullets.

Hornady brass ain't all that bad if you keep your loads at book velocity. Adg is going to get you double the shots and with faster speeds. Can be the difference of reaching the next node and being ok. Trying to reach the next node on hornady brass will get you burn marks on your bolt face. I personally use Lapua first and adg second. Third is Norma that is soft but not as bad as hornady. My .03 cent worth. Yes I know .03 is not worth that much bit is all I have.
Shep

Hornady brass ain't all that bad if you keep your loads at book velocity. Adg is going to get you double the shots and with faster speeds. Can be the difference of reaching the next node and being ok.

I've heard this for some other calibers—have you experienced this with PRC? With some folks reaching 10 loadings on Hornady 6.5 PRC brass without loosening primer pockets, do we have experience with ADG providing 20+ loadings?

I've only gotten 20 loading on ppc brass made from lapua and some .222 rem from lapua. I anneal all the time to keep necks from splitting and to keep my headspaced shoulders consistent. I've used adg in 6.5 creed and 6.5 Saum. I wish they did 300WSM. Heck I wish they made everything I need. Lapua too.
I shoot lots of matches so accuracy is my priority never speed. I will run the highest node to the max I can get. I will sometimes go up over to get a higher node in a hunting rifle but only if that node is bigger or more accurate. Properly sorted hornady brass is consistent and if it was the only offering of brass I could use I wouldn't complain much. But I did get a 200 box of 6.5 creed for my 1000 yard be rifle and prepped them all turned necks weight sorted engraved the whole 27 ft. But it popped primers on loads that were several grains under book max. Loads I previously worked up on shot in my rifle hornady factory loads. Which all had over a dozen shots on. So I thought that load was good. I even checked weight between the 2 batches and they were the same. That was a bummer and I bought Peterson and adg to try out. For me the adg was better. Harder primer area and lower SD. By the way you guys using 300wsm I found Winnie brass last twice as long as Norma and once sorted shoots just as good. As I shoot the 6.5 Saum I have no experience with the 6.5 prc. Someone else said they don't like recent hornady designs be cause you need to seat bullets deep into the powder capacity. I think their new offerings are just the opposite. Shorter brass and longer throats free up capacity. Maybe I just read your comment wrong I am in the hospital on drugs waiting for a back surgery number 3.
Good luck on your opening days ahead. This will be the first I miss in 45 years. Shoot some dandies.
Shep

I've been running the Hornady brass as it was the only option when I picked it up. Loading 3 has been shot, everything still seems good and I've seen good ES/SD and great groups for the light #2 contour 26" barrel. See my 200 yard zero confirmation below. As above, I'm sure the ADG is great, but if my Hornady lasts 8-10 firings then I'll be hard pressed to not just buy another box from them. I know people have had issues with their brass in the past, but the past few years I've been impressed. Had some soft 223 8 years ago, but I was also pushing those 40 grainers pretty hard. Today's brass seems solid and I have to give them credit for the design. Accurate, good bullet selection, hardly any recoil, etc.

Attachments

• 20191013_165514.jpg
    20191013_165514.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
I'd like to save a few dollars whenever feasible. What I've learned and continue to learn is that there is a reason companies can charge a higher price for their products. In competitive markets - over priced stuff doesn't stay around very long.
If your goal is to kill stuff at short range - most anything works. If you're looking to maximize you're guns ability - you know the answer. This is the same reason I won't find a Tasco or BSA scope on your rifle.
My recent aha moment was getting a powder scale that reads down to .01 grains. Wasn't sure it would make a difference - it most definitely does.

BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE.

I still have the tasco 3x9 world-class I got on my first rifle. A Smith and Wesson 1500 30-06 early 80s. However you are correct you wont find it on my rifle. The tube cracked off from the turrets forward and so it sits in its original box on one of my benches. I also want one of those scales and maybe I will get it this yr. I want the new auto throw with Bluetooth.
Shep

a well setup and calibrated balance beam will do the same thing a lot cheaper. price aint everything. I have spent the time comparing many different brands head to head and much of it is just hype. yes some are better prepped, some might even get a couple more reloads. if you take the time and develop a load where the brass wants to be and not where you want it to be then you find out how small the differences are.
there is a difference from shooting the smallest group at a 1000 than hunting at a 1000.

Yes I know from shooting 1000 yard comp. It's even way completely different than 1 and 200 yard br. I have 2 m5 scales and a 10-10 scale that are super tuned and can weigh one kernel of stick powder. But they are slow to use and you can't have any breeze in the room and you need to set the scale at a height that you can look straight at the needles. I put a needle on mine so I don't have to look across the gap. My friend has the non blue tooth model with the billet upgrades and it's pretty awesome. Sometimes just the convienence is worth the extra cash. I don't have a brass problem. I use good brass and I take care of it. I shoot my rifles on the nodes under max. Never did need the extra speed. I'm an accuracy buff.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.