Hornady brass jamming

So you take a new case, full length resize it, and you can't close the bolt on it?

No after firing the case will not extract.
Without the tap of a ramrod
My lapua brass has no problem

Different brass, same load? That can be a no-no. If the bolt opens easily, it must be sticking in the chamber, but I don't know what would cause that and not for the Lapua. If the bolt is hard to open, you need to back down on the powder charge and start the load development over.

Been discussed elsewhere that Joyce Hornady had an issue with the 338 Lapua brass but supposedly addressed the issue. Myself, I just stay away from them. I heard the early lots sucked for extraction. I use Lapua, Nosler and PPU in that order.

Hornaday brass has thick necks and is known to have extraction issues in rifles with tight chamber such as Savages. Try neck turning.

...and I thought a 'thick neck' was revelant to sleep apena as described by the Federal DOT.:D

Just avoid the Hornady brass entirely. Cheaper isn't always better. usually isn't.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.