HORNADY Ballistics Calculator

7stw

Guys, probably a rookie move or overlook, but I have a 6.5 creed, shooting 123eldm, @ 2883. Zero at 200. Scope height, 1.9, twist, 8.
Typical shooting angle -1 degree.
If i dial up 300 yards, it says to come up 2.28 inches,which seems high to me. I did, bullets 4.5 high +.
So, i entered the same info into Strelok program, got same answer.
Elevation, 13, temp 55, humidity 89.
What's you best guess as to what I'm doing wrong.
I tried the 4dof, and BC Calculator. I'm sure it's something stupid I've done, or overlooked.
Thoughts?

What are you dialing your elevation to when making the shot?

Could you possibly be using a G7 ballistic Coefficient but have the program set to G1?

I just ran the H 4DOF calculator with your data and:

With a 200 yard zero, shooting slightly up hill at 1* the program indicated that:

200 yards the trajectory would be .7' high
300 yards the trajectory would be 5.89" low, needing an elevation correction of almost 6 inches up with your load - like 2 MOA.

I shoot a .260 and 6.5X47 Lapua with 123 ELDM's at close to the same velocity and this data works for me.

I can't figure out how the " If i dial up 300 yards, it says to come up 2.28 inches,which seems high to me. I did, bullets 4.5 high +" works or what you did. Are your scope adjustments in MOA's. If the MV were to be increased to 3883 fps the trajectory at 300 would be about 2.5 inches low with a 200 yard zero.

The Hornady 4DOF program does not use either G1 or G7 BC's but instead uses approximations that are applied to actual Doppler radar data for cataloged bullets.

Possibly the MV data was excessive?

Last edited:
I just ran the H 4DOF calculator with your data and:

With a 200 yard zero, shooting slightly up hill at 1* the program indicated that:

200 yards the trajectory would be .7' high
300 yards the trajectory would be 5.89" low, needing an elevation correction of almost 6 inches up with your load - like 2 MOA.

I shoot a .260 and 6.5X47 Lapua with 123 ELDM's at close to the same velocity and this data works for me.

I can't figure out how the " If i dial up 300 yards, it says to come up 2.28 inches,which seems high to me. I did, bullets 4.5 high +" works or what you did. Are your scope adjustments in MOA's. If the MV was jumped up to 3883 fps the trajectory at 300 would be about 2.5 inches low with a 200 yard zero.

The Hornady 4DOF program does not use either G1 or G7 BC's but instead uses approximations derived from Doppler radar data for cataloged bullets.

Possibly the MV data was excessive?
Muzzle velocity was input at 2883. I used 4dof, and bc calculator, and numbers were very similar. If zeroed at 200, cant figure were having to raise to another 2.28 made sense. Strelok even says same. I know it's a input error, but cant figure it out. Velocity is from Labradar.

I had issues with the hornady calc too.
It didn't like angles and any error seems to scale disproportionately to distance, especially humidity.

I moved to the Nikon app, a little finicky to load sometimes but it has been accurate in hand load and factory ammo from nosler, fed, hornady, win and a couple of others. Knowing I'm slow by about 50fps from the box helped a bunch. My calcs are less than 0.5in off at 300m to 500. Honestly, it's my shooting that's off at 500+.

The numbers say a correction from 200 to 300 yds should be approx 2.2moa (6.75"). Seems plausible. Are your turrets tracking true. At these relatively close ranges, I have fond the numbers to be fairly accurate. Certainly not 1.5 moa off in a 100 yard step.

I had issues with the hornady calc too.
It didn't like angles and any error seems to scale disproportionately to distance, especially humidity.

I moved to the Nikon app, a little finicky to load sometimes but it has been accurate in hand load and factory ammo from nosler, fed, hornady, win and a couple of others. Knowing I'm slow by about 50fps from the box helped a bunch. My calcs are less than 0.5in off at 300m to 500. Honestly, it's my shooting that's off at 500+.
dial back to 100 yards and add your 2.28 off 100 yards and test that

My 6.5 sighted in at 100 is 3moa up for 300 yds so your increase seems right?
It just seems funny, while having zero, at 200, then having to raise an additional 2.2 moa, which shot at least 4 moa high. Going to reset, shoot through lab radar, and regroup. Also, will do a scope calibration test.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts