Hornady announced the 7mm A-tip, does that mean the 7PRC will be at SHOT?

7mm .284" 166gr A Tip BC's
.664 (G1)
.332 (G7)

Screenshot_20200223-084611_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
That BC is a little disappointing. Seems like the 190 might not be as high as we hoped. I'm guessing around .810(G1).
I would sure like to see a 7PRC based on the 300PRC.

All ya gotta do is call up a reamer manufacturer and tell them neck down a 300 PRC to 7mm. Get you some 300 PRC Bushing dies with the correct bushing and your all set.

I just built a 7wsm last year... I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to build another rifle. I know you can wildcat almost anything, but if I started wildcatting I would be broke and would have a house full of rifles. Sure is tempting though.

I have to be honest, a 7PRC based more off a 6.5 and maybe even shortened might not be a bad thing...

It doesn't need to out-afterburner the other 7s to be useful. Frankly, something that beats a 7mm-08 and still fits in a SA - I could see a use case for that. Especially something that pushes the heavier pills than the 160s that max out the -08 case capacity.

I reiterate: it doesn't need to push a 195 at 3500fps.

You're talking about the 7wsm and 7saum. If I did it over again I would probably go 7saum. The 180gr eldm's are so long I have to single load in my short action.

I have to be honest, a 7PRC based more off a 6.5 and maybe even shortened might not be a bad thing...

It doesn't need to out-afterburner the other 7s to be useful. Frankly, something that beats a 7mm-08 and still fits in a SA - I could see a use case for that. Especially something that pushes the heavier pills than the 160s that max out the -08 case capacity.

I reiterate: it doesn't need to push a 195 at 3500fps.
You just described the 7ss
3000' with a 180 at 2.92" coal to the lands

You just described the 7ss
3000' with a 180 at 2.92" coal to the lands

I know (gleefully!), that's why I built one!
43AA652E-037D-41A0-9236-33DB0E92DBCA.jpeg

That being said, I've got kids and little time to reload. And while custom ammo is always an option, being able to pick up some Precision Hunter in 7SS (or a functionally-identical 7PRC) would be fine by me. Hornady's PH has shot great for me in all my rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.