Hornady A-Tip, vs ELD-M COAL question in 6mm

Winkfish

Good morning,
This may be a dumb question. I would like to get some opinions on a loading the Hornady A-Tip and getting it to feed in my magazine correctly.

Currently in 6mm creedmoor I am shooting factory 108G Hornady ELD-M. They shoot so well in factory form that I have not started to reload them yet. I saw the 110G A-Tip the other day and grabbed a box and figured I would reload them and see how they compared to the ELD-M and see if it justified a switch.

Here are my questions:
For the ELD-M when measured with the comparator I am getting a length of 3.242" with a COAL of 2.792".
The jump works well and therefor I seated the A-Tip to a length of 3.424" which resulted in a COAL of 3.862".

Given that I am assuming that both bullets will have the same jump to the lands.

I am using a magazine that when I load the A-Tip I have 20 thousands of clearance to the front of the magazine. It appears to feed and not bind in the magazine when cycling it sitting at the bench. However it does not provide nearly the same clearance that the factory rounds do.

Should I load the A-Tip to this length or am I not giving myself enough clearance in the magazine?

Am I wrong to think that loading them both a 3.242 is a good starting point?

Below is a factory ELD-M compared to the A-TIP.

Thank you,

Attachments

• 20200401_055835_resized.jpg
    20200401_055835_resized.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 121
Yes, the plan is to run them at magazine length. Giving 20 thousands, is that enough wiggle room.

Historically I have not run magazines in any of my bolt guns so I not sure what sort of clearances are best practices.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.