Hornady A-Tip bullets 250gr 30cal bullet

Wasn't there an Aluminum tip 338 by Hornady many years ago but was ahead of it's time I guess before Long Range shooting really took off.
They had the aluminum tipped 162 gn 7mm. So they have experince with al tipped bullets. But I like that these seem to go beyond that. They're concerned about bullet to bullet variability and getting the most consistent bullets possible to shooters. Of course nothing is more consistent than lathe turned monometals. But those have issues with tips and hollow points that may reduce BC or terminal performance. I'd think the A-tip will expand on game at long range. Better at least than a tipped copper bullet. The A-tip jackets look pretty thin.

Interesting bullet for sure! The 250s bearing surface is .633 and the OAL is 1.858 I am thinking because of that it will be slower. I might be able to get it to 3200 plus though. Even If I can. the 230smk is still faster @ a mile then the 250 would be. Time will tell I hope I am wrong! :D

I suspect what that means is that it was made to stabilize in the saami twist for the 300 PRC which is apparently 8.5. But it robs too much velocity IMO.

The 230 has a higher form factor than the 250. I suspect that they have about the same nose profile. The extra 20 grains is just added length in the bearing surface which adds to BC but not really to down range ballistics because the heavier bullet is slower. The velocity advantage of the 230 about cancels out the BC advantage of the 250. Similar to the 215 and 230 Bergers.

Yes, but at some point the heavier one should take over again. Depends how far you plan on shooting I suppose

This was posted in FB ...

Hornady A-tip.JPG

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hornady...6maipJ4kaN0N55DGgQLPpt4UlDIDiUpsy4UwLq2bs-L8I

Yes, but at some point the heavier one should take over again. Depends how far you plan on shooting I suppose

Sure would think that but I guess some combinations just can't be beaten. The 230 Berger just can't seem to over take the 215's velocity advantage given it minutely better B.C. Now in comparison to the 230SMK...IDK haven't really looked into it.

Sure would think that but I guess some combinations just can't be beaten. The 230 Berger just can't seem to over take the 215's velocity advantage given it minutely better B.C. Now in comparison to the 230SMK...IDK haven't really looked into it.
The 230 can never overcome the 215's velocity advantage? I figured it would at some point. Point might be pretty far. Haven't crunched the numbers, just usually works out that way. I'd be curious about what distance that point is our if indeed it will never beat it. If someone crunches the numbers let me know :)

The 230 can never overcome the 215's velocity advantage? I figured it would at some point. Point might be pretty far. Haven't crunched the numbers, just usually works out that way. I'd be curious about what distance that point is our if indeed it will never beat it. If someone crunches the numbers let me know :)
The 250 will at some point be faster than the 230 if started out with equal energy at the muzzle. So I checked it for my location 4500ft elevation. Started both with 5000 ft lbs. That comes at 3130 fps for the 230 and 3000 fps for the 250. I was amazed that the 230 held it's own as well as it did. At 1300 yds the 230 was 1953 fps and 1948 ft lbs. The 250 was 1916 fps and 2038 ft lbs. I would have thought the 250 would be faster by 1300 yds but it wasn't.

Wind drift was 58.6 and 57.8 inches for the 230 and 250. The added speed of the lighter bullet almost exactly canceled out the BC advantage of the heavier bullet. And estimating wind is the most difficult part of long range hunting.

I'd shoot the 230 in almost any gun for game because I'm not going beyond 1300 yds. The 230 is faster and should expand a little better inside 1300 yds. But really it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

I checked and double checked and still it doesn't seem quite right. The 250 should have looked a little better.

For target shooting at one mile and beyond the 250 would be faster and a little better ballistically.

Last edited:
And that's with the Hornady's. They have a bit larger B.C gap than the 215 vs 230. The 215 is .696? With the 230 being .714. Awful difficult to overcome 130-150fps head start with .020 B.C Advantage.

And that's with the Hornady's. They have a bit larger B.C gap than the 215 vs 230. The 215 is .696? With the 230 being .714. Awful difficult to overcome 130-150fps head start with .020 B.C Advantage.
That's because Berger designed both for a 10 twist. The 215 actually has a longer nose than the 230. That gives the 215 a much better form factor. The 230 A-tip has a better form factor than the 250. That's why the 230 holds it's own, it's built sleeker.

The Berger 245 could be a lot better if they lengthen it out for an 8 twist. But no they'll probably do a 9 twist bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.