Hornady A-Max Accuarcy

JW74

Has anyone else found that the "Hornady A-Max Match" factory ammo produces great accuracy? I have fired it both from my Remington 700 VS .308 as well as my bone stock Savage 11 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor and both are sub 1/2" to sub 3/4" @ 100 yards.

The first target is with 155gr A-max in my .308, the second is 168gr A-max in .308 and the third target is a 140gr A-max out of my 6.5 Creedmoor.

The 168gr in my .308 was also rock solid last weekend on a 16' x 27" steel silhouette @ 1020 yards.

I have started working up some handloads with the A-max as well just for fun to see if I can duplicate or improve upon the accuracy of the factory A-max loads. Curious if others are seeing the same results?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 74
Shooting the 120 @ 140 a max in 6.5 creedmoor. Both under 1" @ 100 yards shooting off the hood of my truck. Should shot much better with a rest. Can't complain for factory ammo.

I've had equally great results with the factory Match 168 gr. Amax out of my .308. This stuff just plain shoots great out of my rifle.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any for sale anywhere for awhile now.

That's awesome! Sounds like the A-max is a shooter for everyone. I'm looking forward to working up some 178 gr loads with the A-max for my .308 as well as experimenting with the 140 gr with my 6.5 Creedmoor.

I reload the 178 in my '06 and as i have a few other bullets that shoot sub moa. If i want to feel better about myself. I get my 178grn amax load out and put three **** near in one hole at 100 and under a inch at 250. That brings out alot of confidence out of a man. Lol.

Since we are on the topic of Hornady, has anyone had any luck duplicating with handloads the performance of the 308 Win 178 gr BTHP Superformance Match? I hear that there are no pressure issues? I have some coming and am going to try them out next week in my Rem 700.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.