Hornady A-Max 7mm Rem Mag. & Barrel twist

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by yellowjacket, Feb 22, 2005.

1. yellowjacket

yellowjacket Active Member

I am not sure the twist rate on factory 7mm Rem. Mag barrels and I would like to know if anyone has experience shooting the 162 gr. A-max and if it stabilizes ok and if accuracy is good. This is a very handsome bullet that I would like to try, but the box states 8" twist rate?? My 7mm rifles are late model Win. Model 70 , Rem. 700 and Browning Model 78?

2. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Factory twist should be 9 or 9.5. You should have no problem with the 162gr A-Max in these barrels.

I just loaded the 162's in my 10 twist 7STW. Not sure yet how they will do in a 10 twist but its pushing it a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

VH

3. juicedcummins

juicedcummins New Member

I ran Hornady 162 spire points in my 7mm rem Mag with great results. That was before the A-Max were out.
    H-1000 is a great powder for the 162's.

4. älg

älg Well-Known Member

I shot a rem ks in 7 rm with a 9,5 twist, A-max 162 moly at 2840 ft/s. I managed a three shot group of 0,9 cm at 100 m. Two goups with speeds under and over that, were around 1,5 cm.

I also thought I would have trouble with the twist since the box clearly refers to the need of an 1/8 twist, but it does not seem to be the case.

Try them and good luck.

5. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

VH,

Please keep us informed as to how the 10x performs with those 162 AMAX's. I am looking for the best all around twist for that bullet.

6. a.JR

a.JR Well-Known Member

Meichele, We have used the 162 a/max a lot in longrange benchrest in Australia with good results in a 10in twist with speeds from 2850 to 3150 fps.We are also in early tests with the new 175 Smk and it looks promising in the same gun.JR..Jeff Rogers..ps i live in a tropical warm climate..[ QUOTE ]
    VH,

Please keep us informed as to how the 10x performs with those 162 AMAX's. I am looking for the best all around twist for that bullet.

[/ QUOTE ]

7. brian b

brian b Well-Known Member

I also have a Rem7mmRem Mag in a Sako AV, the gun shoot's very well with the right loads with nosler 160gr AB's in the .05's. with Hornady IB's the same load shoot's 5.0". the 162gr A-Max will shoot much better but you must do some tinkering on your own.
    have fun B.