Hornady 6mm ARC

XSIVSPD

Saw this today, anyone have any more info on it? I've been toying with the idea of a 6mm AR for a while, and this could scratch that itch. Seems like ittl be a fast twist and have decent velocity since they're talking about it being able to utilize the A-tip bullets. Looks like it's specifically marketed towards prs shooters, but they're also talking about it already being adopted by some of the military too.

Saw this today, anyone have any more info on it? I've been toying with the idea of a 6mm AR for a while, and this could scratch that itch. Seems like ittl be a fast twist and have decent velocity since they're talking about it being able to utilize the A-tip bullets. Looks like it's specifically marketed towards prs shooters, but they're also talking about it already being adopted by some of the military too.

Opposite. It was designed for the military. Not PRS.
it was a mystery who made it a sammi spec, turns out it was hornady with another DOD contract. The bullet it was designed around is still a mystery. It was designed around the Barrett Rec 7. Forester is just talking about making dies for it right now.

Opposite. It was designed for the military. Not PRS.
it was a mystery who made it a sammi spec, turns out it was hornady with another DOD contract. The bullet it was designed around is still a mystery. It was designed around the Barrett Rec 7. Forester is just talking about making dies for it right now.

I know it was designed for DOD, but it seems to be being MARKETED towards the prs crowd.

If it can make close to the prs speed limit with the 100+gr bullet options in a reasonable length barrel I'll probably be in for one as a fun target/predator gun eventually. Seems like it might be a decent alternative to a 6br/6ppc

From the limited info I can find, it looks like the 6br still beats it by about 200fps, but I can't confirm equal barrel length. Hornady is claiming 2750 fps with a 108 eld-m from a 24"barrel

I know there are plenty faster cartridges, but I'm mostly interested in a barrel friendly long range trainer so I don't have to worry about chasing lands and burning out barrels and can just concentrate on putting a high number of rounds downrange and improving myself

if you want a bolt gun, look at the 6mm GT for great accuracy and decent barrel life. I have a barrel incoming soon.

It's not even going to be anywhere near the prs speed limit with 100 gr bullets. A 243 barely gets there. And yes the 6mmar has been around a long time. Bart even copied it and called it the Grinch. And then claimed he knew nothing of the 6mmar. But it does seem Hornady has pushed the shoulder back a little bit with theirs.
Shep

I come up with 450 yards for 1000 ft pounds. 320 yards for 1200 ft pounds. Perfectly adequate for a 300 yard deer rifle with low recoil. We know it's going to be good because the 6ar is great. I don't see any reason to change from my Grendel but I have been thinking about the 6ar for awhile. If I do the Hornady round I can get in on all the factory ammo. I don't think they are exactly the same.
Shep

I've always liked the 6x45 for the ar platform. It does extremely well with the 85 Sierra hpbt on medium size game. Can't imagine it wouldn't have done well for the military especially in a 24" barrel with a fast twist and a 100 gr bullet. Guess time will tell whether or not it's going to be king of the ar15 platforms.

This was spun off Gene Beggs cartridges. Gene is a well known target shooter and Bullet Central icon. He developed it in his tunnel. He has made the 220 Beggs using 220 Russian brass (224 caliber) then later the 6mm Beggs. He in cooperation with Hornady had dies built for them.

A new name for an old cartridge...the 6mmAR has been around for over 10+ years. Now there's 6mmAR Turbo. Looks like Hornady might be 'borrowing' somebody else's concept and calling it their own. Shame, shame.
I have been shooting a Whitely 6mmAR, Which is basically a Grendel case necked down to 6mm. You are absolutely right. This cartridge has been around for quite some time. It has been my primary 200/300 yard Egg Shooter for the last decade or so it has proven to a superbly accurate cartridge with very long case and barrel life.