Hornady 6.5C 143 ELD-X performance issues

Figured I would insert a little bit of experience with the 143 grain ELD-X at very close range. I hunt Western Washington Blacktails more than anything. The bullet has performed very well for many people at long range, but my experience has only been close. In a hunting situation that can put you 20 yards from a deer, to well over a grand, it is nice to have a bullet that works well at all ranges. Here are my 2 experiences with close range shots with the 143 grain ELD-X.

First, an offhand shot at a stationary Blacktail Buck at about 20 yards. The bullet entered about 6 inches back from the crease of the shoulder, and absolutely exploded on impact. The jacket separated from the core, and was recovered well inside the deer. There was an exit wound about an inch in diameter, which was weird, considering the lead core must have been the only thing to exit.

Second, A chip shot at 76 yards resulted in a lot of trimming of the far side shoulder. The buck was quartered away, and was very tense. The bullet was placed just a tad forward, and nearly blew apart the far shoulder after impacting the bone. It had an incredible effect, and only a few chunks of copper were found in the meat during cleaning.

All in all, I can't say anything about the OP's experiences, but both of my deer died incredibly quick, and led to fast recovery. I will keep shooting them as long as they keep killing stuff.

Friday I shot my rifle, a 6.5 prc using the factory Precision Hunter ammo. 600 and as a newb I had an amazing half moa group. One flyer I jerked.
Saturday morning I found a mulie doe. 450 no wind, prone, correct dope, perfect trigger press. First shot looked to have hit low heart. She hops and goes broadside again. Shot again and it looked to have gone maybe couple inches above the first. They take off out of sight. No blood or and no dead deer. Now yes I'm a newb and I could have missed. But I've never had a deer hop like that after missing. And I've missed a lot of deer, to be fair. Just not sure how it could have been a miss. Especially since I thought I saw impacts.
The same ammo did great on my antelope a few weeks ago.
I dunno. I'm going to shoot the same distance this next weekend and triple check everything.

I don't want to blame the bullet but the shots felt really really good.

This thread topic has brought up some unfortunate bickering, and for that I apologize for beginning the thread to begin with. Starting a flame war was never my intent.

As to the other posters and info: Thanks for all your inputs, I really appreciate it. I'm still at a loss tho on how to proceed personally. I've always had exceptional luck and service from Hornady bullets and ammo but am definitely wondering on these 143 ELD-X's. I'm running real short on time for making a change for this year, some home and health issues have prevented me from doing my normal anal-retentive testing I obsess over every year.

Between my son and myself, I imagine one of us will be shooting these again this year. I may still see if I can get a load developed using something else, like a Barnes (which have never failed me in other calibers) or maybe a Hammer Absolute Hunter.

OR… I may just take my 338LM with some 265 LRX's I've been playing with at long range targets. It's an awful lot of power for an Indiana whitetail, but like my Pop always says, "You cant kill 'em too much" LOL

Again, I thank everyone for their suggestions and input. I'll report back after the season and provide any additional info if we do use the 143's again (which I'm sure at least one of use will.

FWIW - I've also got some Barnes 6.5CM factory ammo that I may do some quick range testing with….

I'm with 6.5BR on this. I would be looking at a lower grain bullet that is less like a match grade long range round. I believe longitudinal density may be the issue here, although I am no physicist. I have had very good luck with 123gr Lapua Sceenars on Coyote with the 6.5CM, and while it is a match grade round, I found that at distance 300+ yards it was devastating on internal organs with a well placed shot. I would not hesitate to take a mule or whitetail with the 123gr.

Many Elk and Moose have been taken at some silly ranges and very close ranges with a creedmoor and other 6.5's 143 eldx with excellent success.
It does come down to shot placement and angle. Do not know of a one and done for everything. Tell me when we find it.
Also on the web you can find horror and success stories on all if you search enough.

Two weeks ago, I got my cow elk at 550yards with my 6.5 Creed. Hand loads using 143 ELDX. As it happens its kinda not hunting but shooting for me when I draw my ranch LOP. When I draw the unit I hunt. Anyway I get up at day break, walk out on my deck, lay the rifle on my bags, she's standing in between my 500 and 600 yard gongs. No wind, it was about 35F out. I dope the scope. Boom.. two steps...flop. For the record I have never shot that far in my whole life at game. I was sweating and praying for the bullet to fly true even though I practice all the time. Hit her dead center in the heart. The jacket and core came apart on impact with the core punching through the lungs and heart with the jacket making a left hand turn and ran into the off shoulder. Not as bloodshot as I was worried about but a lot of damage to the shoulder. To be honest I do not care for them but for longer ranges the BC was the best I could find. Yep she died but next season I'll be trying some different stuff. Been a Barnes guy for years, just couldn't get the Barnes to work well in my new Bergara.

When I saw someone post negative comments about a Nosler Partition, well there you go.
Not the first less than ideal result I've heard from ELDX bullets. Thinking I'm gonna get some ELDM bullets for mine.
@ Cajun,.. One Time,..
I almost Choked to Death, LAUGHING my aszz off, when, I saw, a NEGATIVE comment on, a Partition Bullet !
At under 500 Yards, they ARE, the UN-disputed King that, ALL bullets,.. are Judged by !

@ Capt,..
I'm WITH you,.. and will shoot, the 147 grain ELD-M's for Deer / Antelope in my 6.5 Creed as, they seem close to the Performance of, a Berger !
I absolutely HATE, long Tracking jobs and want to, "Scramble", the "Boiler Room" with ONE, "Accurate",.. DRT, shot !
But, I KNOW that, there is,.. NO,.. PERFECT,.. Bullet ! ( YET )

Last edited:
I've shot 2 deer with 143eldx 6.5 saum, I ran with the load last hunting season cause it shot well and had good numbers right off the hop. First mule deer was 381. Complete pass through, fell over where it stood, massive internal damage Second deer was 903. Shot was about 8" further back than I had hoped but still through both lungs (verified after i cut it up) It just walked in circles after the first shot (which was complete pass through). Second shot dropped it

Massive internal damage from the first round parts of jacket were left inside it

I won't pass judgement until I connect with something bigger.

I now have a fantastic load with 140 elite hunter So I'll have that to compare with

@ BC,..
Last Week, I shot an Elk at about, 100 Yards with, the 140 gr. Berger, Classic Hunter Bullet, in my .270 WSM and INSTANTLY saw, Heel and Hooves, thru the Scope with, a high Shoulder shot and had, MINIMAL Meat, Loss !
I will be looking for some Elite Hunters or 135 Classic's for my New, 6.5 Creed.
Since hearing many, "Spotty" results, on the ELD-X's,.. I will be playing with, the 147 ELD-M's, too !

Last edited:
@ BC,..
Last Week, I shot an Elk at about, 100 Yards with, the 140 gr. Berger, Classic Hunter Bullet, in my .270 WSM and INSTANTLY saw, Heel and Hooves, thru the Scope with, a high Shoulder shot and had, MINIMAL Meat, Loss !
I will be looking for some Elite Hunters or 135 Classic's for my New, 6.5 Creed.
Since hearing many, "Spotty" results, on the ELD-X's,.. I will be playing with, the 147 ELD-M's, too !
I've had very good results w Berger 215, 210, and 230 in my big 30 cals Never had to launch more than one.