Hornady 6.5 Precision Rifle Cartridge

Gray

Is the Hornady 6.5 Precision Rifle Cartridge here to stay or another Rem. SAUM? I hope it shares the same level of success the 6.5 Creedmoor has enjoyed.

I believe its here to stay, its a practical cartridge and it was designed to be so,

Hornady has made getting ammo easy and reasonably priced, already a few rifle companies are chambering their rifles in it, will have the popularity of the 6.5CM.....doubtful as the Creedmoor is the most popular cartridge on the planet right now.

This is where Remington and Winchester really missed the boat by not taking advantage of the 6.5 craze and utilizing their existing SA cartridges, no wonder Remington is struggling.

Hard telling. Honestly though I think it will stay. The 6.5 saum i dont believe took off because there's no factory ammo. Us reloaders and wild cat users only represent a small percentage of the shooting population. As long as hornady keeps pumping out quality ammo at an affordable price, it will stay. People said 10 years ago the creedmoor would never go any where and look at that now. It's really the only hot 6.5 with commercially available ammo in both match and hunting ammo. You have the 264 win mag, but let's face it that cartridge was ahead of it's time and will be gone in another decade.

It will die the same death as the 6.5 Remington Magnum, the 6.8 SPC, and the WSSM cartridges... Only a niche' group of people still shooting it in a couple years.

Hard telling. Honestly though I think it will stay. The 6.5 saum i dont believe took off because there's no factory ammo. Us reloaders and wild cat users only represent a small percentage of the shooting population. As long as hornady keeps pumping out quality ammo at an affordable price, it will stay. People said 10 years ago the creedmoor would never go any where and look at that now. It's really the only hot 6.5 with commercially available ammo in both match and hunting ammo. You have the 264 win mag, but let's face it that cartridge was ahead of it's time and will be gone in another decade.

Yep, that is the key.

Imagine if tikka stopped chambering 270wsm and went with the 6.5prc. They'd sell a boatload and it becomes a success as a cartridge

Last edited:
Is the Hornady 6.5 Precision Rifle Cartridge here to stay or another Rem. SAUM? I hope it shares the same level of success the 6.5 Creedmoor has enjoyed.
Why would you want two 6.5mm calibers with the same capabilities? Why not stay with the 6.5 Creedmore since it's already proved out?

Why would you want two 6.5mm calibers with the same capabilities? Why not stay with the 6.5 Creedmore since it's already proved out?
The 6.5 PRC has a good 200 fps on the Creedmoor. Kind of like comparing a .308 Winchester to a 300 WSM. Some people want more performance than the Creedmoor offers and the PRC is a nice step up in velocity. The 6.5 SAUM, or 6.5 GAP has a slight edge on the PRC with case capacity, but the sharp shoulder can make feeding a bit more dicey. The PRC was intended for factory rifles, reliable feeding, and performance not far behind the SAUM. There is definitely a niche for a factory 6.5 in between the Creed and the 26 Nosler/6.5-300 Wby size cartridges, and I think the PRC is most likely the one that will fill it.

The 6.5 PRC has a good 200 fps on the Creedmoor. Kind of like comparing a .308 Winchester to a 300 WSM. Some people want more performance than the Creedmoor offers and the PRC is a nice step up in velocity. The 6.5 SAUM, or 6.5 GAP has a slight edge on the PRC with case capacity, but the sharp shoulder can make feeding a bit more dicey. The PRC was intended for factory rifles, reliable feeding, and performance not far behind the SAUM. There is definitely a niche for a factory 6.5 in between the Creed and the 26 Nosler/6.5-300 Wby size cartridges, and I think the PRC is most likely the one that will fill it.
The .264wm took care of that niche four more than 5 decades ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.