Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass

Probably reduced capacity and small rifle primer
^^This^^^
Cap... My issue was with the Lapua 6.5 CM brass and RL26. The lapua 6.5 CM's smaller case capacity kinda hampers velocity with RL26. I was getting better speed with Hornady brass and RL26 just because I could get more powder in the case before powder was too compressed.
Also, not only does the Lapua 6.5 CM bass use a small rifle primer, it uses a smaller than normal flash hole as well. Even with a CCI450 Mag primer, I would get erratic SD with RL26. Went to the Hornady case and all those issues went away.
Now I use H4350 with the Lapua 6.5 CM case and that works great.

Hornady brass has great potential if you're willing to put in the time. There are some pretty big swings in weight but to me, the biggest benefit of Hornady brass is the increased case capacity over nearly every other brand.
I run Peterson brass most of the time now in 6.5 (fantastic brass that's every bit as good as Lapua!) but Peterson does not have the capacity of Hornady brass. If you had a midly compressed load with Hornady, you most likely wouldn't even be able to seat a bullet with Peterson or similar brass.
Again, if you are willing to put in the time to sort your brass (or don't care about that sort of thing) it's great brass for the $ and I personally like the extra case capacity. I have some pretty hot loads with brass that has been neck turned, annealed every time with over 10 reloadings and counting on the Hornady brass...

Hornady brass has great potential if you're willing to put in the time. There are some pretty big swings in weight but to me, the biggest benefit of Hornady brass is the increased case capacity over nearly every other brand.
I run Peterson brass most of the time now in 6.5 (fantastic brass that's every bit as good as Lapua!) but Peterson does not have the capacity of Hornady brass. If you had a midly compressed load with Hornady, you most likely wouldn't even be able to seat a bullet with Peterson or similar brass.
Again, if you are willing to put in the time to sort your brass (or don't care about that sort of thing) it's great brass for the $ and I personally like the extra case capacity. I have some pretty hot loads with brass that has been neck turned, annealed every time with over 10 reloadings and counting on the Hornady brass...
I've had ok luck with hornady. You just have to put the work into it like you said. Been my experience if you weight sort and turn your necks then it's just fine and you can run 140s at 2880ish with ease. Over 3000 fps if you have rl-26;)

I don't sort my Hornady, but then, I don't weight sort anything or even deburr flash holes anymore, lots of downrange data says it's a non-issue, and it's always 3/4 or better. It's all in the other aspects of your brass prep and being consistent with it, that matters more.

Hey guys, is Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass any good? I've used some of theirs before and it was hit and miss. Since this is one of their proprietary cartridges, just wondering if they're more consistent.
One thing about Peterson brass small primers where Starline brass comes in small and large primers and Starline cost less for more.

I'm currently using both Peterson small primer,and Hornady brass in the creed. Both are holding up very well. I'm lucky to have a minimum spec chamber. The brass isn't getting much of a workout.

While generally not a fan of the Hornady brass, different lots of their 6.5CM brass has performed quite well for me. When I was running the 6.5CM for PRS I prefered the small primer Lapua brass for case life, and not having to bother with annealing.

I run the Hornady brass, loaded with RL17, 140gr ELD, federal 210m primers. I get great results. I run this in three different rifles with the same result. This is one of the targets. And the rifle it was shot with.

Attachments

• 20180515_155149.jpg
    20180515_155149.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 20180312_145409.jpg
    20180312_145409.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 210
I shoot an off the shelf Bergara 14 HMR in 6.5 CM and have only used Starline LRP brass from shot #1. Zero issues, single digit sd's and es in teens. Primer pockets still tight (feel that way to me), and shoot .5 or better unless I screw up in some fashion. Came close to trying Lapua but put them back on the shelf at Cabelas after giving the idea some serious critical thought. I played hockey with a $35.00 wood stick, and I know a $200.00 graphite/composite one wouldn't have increased my production one bit. (Left hand Sherwood, Paul Coffey curve). Boom.

I just got done prepping 250 hornady 6.5 creed cases. After sizing, trimming, uniforming primer pockets etc. I ended up with a weights between 144 and 152 grains . Some primer pockets required lots of cutting to be a uniform depth. I ended up with 5 50 round boxes with about a 2 grain difference per box. I've also been told the starline brass is very consistent and priced much better than lapua brass. Think I'm gonna give a few bags a try in the next .

I just got done prepping 250 hornady 6.5 creed cases. After sizing, trimming, uniforming primer pockets etc. I ended up with a weights between 144 and 152 grains . Some primer pockets required lots of cutting to be a uniform depth. I ended up with 5 50 round boxes with about a 2 grain difference per box. I've also been told the starline brass is very consistent and priced much better than lapua brass. Think I'm gonna give a few bags a try in the next .
Starline is the good stuff, if you want to step up to a better brass, but for a little bit more cost. However, it comes short and takes a lot of firings before you get a first trim.

For everyday target shooting with published loads, no - it's fine. For pounding it harder than it's supposed to be, yes.

I really didn't find forming it from 22-250 to be hard. Neck up, seat bullet jammed, fire form, trim and turn necks. Done.

I've formed it from 7mm-08 and .243 as well and that's almost easier. Using the right amount of lube it forms about 95% just from running it through a FLS die. You have to turn and trim the necks still but big deal, I turned and trimmed the necks on the Hornady stuff too.

Besides, the Lapua's better once you're done, will last longer and it's cheaper to boot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.