Hornady 52gr ELD Bullets & Reloading - AR15 223 OAL???

Nameless One

Hey guys,
i`m still kind of a newbie to the AR 223 platform, so bare with me here. I bought some of those 22cal 52gr Hornady #22491 ELD bullets. I`m looking for those who have actually used this exact bullet in their AR`s to tell me what they are seating their bullets at. (i have a 1:9 twist - 16in barrel) I`ve been reading all kinds of conflicting information, and i cant find any loading information on this particular ELD bullet that tells me what the OAL should be to safely run them in the AR15.

Another quick mention:
I`m using Hodgdon CFE223 powder, and also looking to try the other powder i have, Alliant AR-Comp powder. Any of you folks using either one of these powders with some decent success?

Last edited:
Thanks, found the OAL info already.

But if any ya`ll using the powder i described, let me know what amounts your using in your loads.

1. When loading for an ar I always start at max mag length for your mag (as long as it's not into the lands) find my most accurate powder load then if I'm still not happy with accuracy i shorten the oal to see if it improves
If you want to load longer, dont use gi or magpul mags, buy asc ss mags - they allow out to 2.3"-- if you want to load longer then slot out the front of the mag and it will allow 2.36" for 10 rounds, if you want even longer than i know some guys that go as far as machining or filing a groove in the front of the mag well to allow out to 2.4" but you gotta make sure they arent hitting the barrel extension at those lengths.

Edit- I have no clue how or why my post has a #1 with inset paragraph, I didn't mean it to be that way and cant seem to change it back-- oh well

1. When loading for an ar I always start at max mag length for your mag (as long as it's not into the lands) find my most accurate powder load then if I'm still not happy with accuracy i shorten the oal to see if it improves
If you want to load longer, dont use gi or magpul mags, buy asc ss mags - they allow out to 2.3"-- if you want to load longer then slot out the front of the mag and it will allow 2.36" for 10 rounds, if you want even longer than i know some guys that go as far as machining or filing a groove in the front of the mag well to allow out to 2.4" but you gotta make sure they arent hitting the barrel extension at those lengths.

Edit- I have no clue how or why my post has a #1 with inset paragraph, I didn't mean it to be that way and cant seem to change it back-- oh well

Thank you cohunt...
All i have are magpul mags. I`m at 2.245 OAL length right now, because i see they are really close to rubbing the tip of the bullet within the front leading edge of the mag, so that`s why i seated them a little bit shorter than i originally was going to. I found some info that said the OAL for this particular bullet should be around 2.250, but i saw that was a little tight in the mags.

I haven`t been able to get to the range yet, so i dont have any idea how these are going to work yet in a live fire session. I tested them in a ammo gauge, all good there. They seem to cycle manually in the chamber just fine. I dont see any witness marks on the bullets as if it were hitting the lands either. Forgive me if i seem wrong on anything, i`m kind of a ar newbie, but i would think the principles of reloading should be close to the same as most other rifle cartridges. Over 50yrs of reloading, so i do have a little bit of knowledge, i think, just not as much in the ar platform, yet...lol

I started out with my powder charge`s in the middle of what the manuals said.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts