HORNADY 300 Norma Brass

It's useable, but certainly not the best choice in my opinion. Norma brass is much better, Peterson is a huge step up and Lapua brass will be available at some point this year .

It's useable, but certainly not the best choice in my opinion. Norma brass is much better, Peterson is a huge step up and Lapua brass will be available at some point this year .
Have you used the Hornady what did you not like about it

I haven't used it personally but know a few people who have. Weights and lengths were pretty inconsistent, primer pockets didn't last long . They're not complete garbage, just not first rate either. With proper prep work and sorting they'll deliver quality ammo, but the other brass available is less work , more durable and more expensive.

It all boils down to what you expect from your brass and and money spent.

I haven't used it personally but know a few people who have. Weights and lengths were pretty inconsistent, primer pockets didn't last long . They're not complete garbage, just not first rate either. With proper prep work and sorting they'll deliver quality ammo, but the other brass available is less work , more durable and more expensive.

It all boils down to what you expect from your brass and and money spent.
That's what I have always heard, you would think they would try to do a better job

I can't confirm, but I think brass is at the bottom of their priority list . They sell a ton of factory ammo to shooters that don't reload and throw away the spent brass . If the brass is fired once, produces the desired results and is thrown in the trash , it's done it's job .

.....If the brass is fired once, produces the desired results and is thrown in the trash , it's done it's job.....

.......We bought a hundred rounds of ammo, thinking that would equal a 100 rounds of reloadable brass. It all ended up in the scrap pile. Every anomaly you can think of-rims that wouldn't fit into the shell holder, some would, then you'd have to twist it around looking for the way it went in, as that was the only way it would come out. Primer pockets a mess of too big, or too tight.

I shoot a 6.5 SAUM using Hornady brass and my experience with it is it is very soft and can't stand up to more than 3 firings in my rifle. I also had a 7LRM and I could maybe get a second firing. I wish there was a better option for my SAUM, but finding Norma brass to neck down is about impossible. So, for the meantime, I am forced to go with the Hornady route knowing what I know.

I bought 6mm Remington brass for the same reason-I won't likely open it now, preferring to buy loaded Winchester ammo if need be.

I shoot a 6.5 SAUM using Hornady brass and my experience with it is it is very soft and can't stand up to more than 3 firings in my rifle. I also had a 7LRM and I could maybe get a second firing. I wish there was a better option for my SAUM, but finding Norma brass to neck down is about impossible. So, for the meantime, I am forced to go with the Hornady route knowing what I know.

Hornady brass is alittle soft but not terrible. I've had good luck with their creed brass. I tried norma which I'll never buy again as the necks split after 3 firings. Now I'm on ADG brass which I'm not sure how I feel about it. Pockets seem to be on the loose side but I'll run it as long as I can and see if they hold up.

When cases, primers and powder were in short supply I was after 100 257 Roberts cases so I purchased 100 factory loaded Hornady rounds. It was absolute rubbish, two of the factory loaded rounds had split necks. about 25 of them had 0.014" run out and a few exceeded 0.017" run out.
Lapua now list 300 Norma Mag brass on their website if you don't want to buy Norma cases.

I can't confirm, but I think brass is at the bottom of their priority list . They sell a ton of factory ammo to shooters that don't reload and throw away the spent brass . If the brass is fired once, produces the desired results and is thrown in the trash , it's done it's job .
10-15 years ago, when Hornady still made MATCH head stamped brass and true match-grade .308 Win ammo, that was some good brass and ammo. Some of the best groups I've shot in my .308 Win's were with that brass and that factory ammo. I still have several hundred pieces of that same brass stock (once-fired, cleaned, and air-tight storage in .50 cal ammo cans). Some of it that I keep separate, I still use for load development, and I've loaded 8+ times with some warm loads, and is just as high of quality as my Lapua .308 Win brass is, and shoots just as good, with the same loads, in the same rifles. What happened was the 6.5CM craze, and then Hornady switched gears, and started putting all that effort into the 6.5CM and whoring it out, and didn't give 2-***** about any other cartridge or brass quality for anything else, because the CM was their golden ticket cash-cow. They're going to do the same thing with the 6.5 PRC.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.