Hornady 250 SST ML Bullet Disappointed

scdogman

Called Hornady and asked what was the minimum fps needed for expansion. The representative stated it was 1800 fps. I let him know the that at speed many guns would have a 50 yard or less range. 100 grains by volume of BH209 produces 1943 fps which drops to 1800 in less than 40 yards. Had him check with another representative and they he stuck by 1800 fps. They did know this was a muzzle loader bullet.

Barnes stated 1100 fps for the T-EZ Spitfire 250 grains.

Disappointed in the lack of knowledge by Hornady rep. I guess all the knowledgeable guys are making 7mm PRC Brass.

What is the real speed needed?

Called Hornady and asked what was the minimum fps needed for expansion. The representative stated it was 1800 fps. I let him know the that at speed many guns would have a 50 yard or less range. 100 grains by volume of BH209 produces 1943 fps which drops to 1800 in less than 40 yards. Had him check with another representative and they he stuck by 1800 fps. They did know this was a muzzle loader bullet.

Barnes stated 1100 fps for the T-EZ Spitfire 250 grains.

Disappointed in the lack of knowledge by Hornady rep. I guess all the knowledgeable guys are making 7mm PRC Brass.

What is the real speed needed?
Does a .45 or .50 cal bullet really need expansion? Many animals are harvested every year big to small with hard cast at those velocities. I've used hornady sst's very successfully over the years without an issue with 2 whit hots.

I can't speak for the factory but in real life that's not correct. The 250gr actually has a reputation for being the softest of the line. I use the 200gr 40cal or the 300gr because they have higher sectional density and hold together better. All of them expand well out of any muzzle loader I've shot them out of and those used to be my primary weapon.

I have come across similar Hornady arrogance. Years ago, I started using their 195gr 8mm bullet in my 1950 Brno Volkspolizei rifle, chambered for the 7.92x57 IS aka 8.2x57 IS. The C.O.A.L. in the first manual to show that projectile was impossibly long. I sent an email query and was told that it was correct. I still have the email printout sitting amongst my records.

I shot a bear with the 250sst 2 years ago running 2 50 grain triple 7 pellets. The bear only made it about 20 yards and went down but there didn't seem to be much expansion. Entrance and exit holes were the same size, but it did the job. FYI, this year my muzzleloader was loaded with a barnes 250 spitfire, but wasnt lucky enough to try them.

I'd have to think that's completely incorrect..here is a test done by a friend that uses carpet, plywood and water jugs to simulate an animal like target..this test is with only 50 grains of bh209

why would anybody put their faith in a phone jockey at a manufacture or a minimum wage unexperienced 20 year old behind the counter. people really need to do their own testing.
the barnes tmz bullets are the better option for longer range shots with the hornadys being harder are better for close range woods shooting. the TC shockwaves are another harder bullet better suited for close range.

I use the Hornady xtp 44 cal 240 gr pistol bullets that you can by a box of 50 or 100 for #40. They are hollow point, no plastics tip. I assume similar bullter to SST but they are super accurate for normal muzzleloader range under 200 yds. Being designed for pistol, would believe they expand at lower vel. They destroy deer and I think I have 100% pass thrus, for sure in chest cavity shots. I think with the open tip they would expand under 1800 fps but never had any issue bring done game. I only run 100 gr powder.

I have been using powerbelt aero-lites for many seasons with great satisfaction. They have a softer seal designed for standard powder charges.
Have not recovered a bullet yet but the exit is always larger.

Recent Posts