Hornady 225 gr BTHP

Phillygunner

Is anyone using thebHornady 225 bthp in their primary or secondary load from a 300 win mag? If so, what type of results are you having at long range on targets and on game?
Describe your loads and results please. Ive been using 230 Berger hybrids and otm's. Want to here about others experience with this bullet.

Thanks

Is anyone using thebHornady 225 bthp in their primary or secondary load from a 300 win mag? If so, what type of results are you having at long range on targets and on game?
Describe your loads and results please. Ive been using 230 Berger hybrids and otm's. Want to here about others experience with this bullet.

Thanks

I don't think that round is actually "rated" for game. I have not taken game with them but enjoy shooting the 225 and like the price. I used them often when Berger 215 n 230s were impossible to find. I used the same load (75 gr H1000) and seated close to lands and had sub-mow groups always... I believe the BC is a .670 but on my longer shots I would always over shoot by large margin so I'm not sure of that advertised BC. I know it's just an average but I always thought that the 225 gr. had a bit higher than .670

Good luck

We are using the 225 hdy in both a 300roy and a 300rum with excellent results (around 1/2 moa if the shooter is up to it) in both rifles. We haven't taken any game with them yet, as I've been busy using other rifles, but plan to soon. We are using 7828 in the roy and rl33 in the rum.

Have had several hundred sitting on the shelves for a few years now. Had such good luck with H1000 & 208 Amax's I just stopped load development on my Winny. With all the great results of guys running RL33 & the heavies in 30cal. I just couldn't stand by & not try. So I've just started load work up using RL33 & the 225's. Ran a ladder test @ 300yds in 1 grain increments from 74-81gr & a .015" jump. Nothing too exciting the rounds just walked up the target until I got to 78gr. There was less than 3/4" vertical outside between the three shots. 78 & 79 went in the same hole & 80 was about 2" to the right & with no pressure signs, well just a slight flattening of the primers even at 81gr. Me thinkst I found my zone to work in. I'll be loading up several from 78 to 80 in half grain increments. I'll chrono & shoot for groups. Ill update results later.

Never used 225 Bthp But have shot LOTS of Alabama does with 208 A-Maxs. I have killed them out to 598 yards with 208 A-max at 2900 fps out of 300 win mag. Al have been DRT. :D

Thanks

After shooting a lot more lately and now owning a Magneto Speed I can see that my ES with the 225's is much higher. SD of around 26 compared to like 4 with the Bergers. Not sure why and not every 5 shot group but I will continue to research.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.