Hornady 225 ftx for 450 bushmaster

TriggerTime426

So I live in iowa and the only rifle we are allowed to shoot is straight wall. So I have a 450 bushmaster ar platform and decided to load 225 hornady ftxs for higher fps. The box says 800-2100 fps I'm hoping that's a friendly suggestion cause I'm getting 2450 with 41gr of Lil gun and no pressure signs that I see. And it prints on paper 1in and 5in at 300. Im also not crimping, bullet tension is not much. Is anyone else using this bullet out of a 450 with these velocities with good results on paper and game?

I believe that's the bullet they load in some of their factory ammo. I took a doe at about 50 yards out of my AR last year with factory FTX ammo. I shot it into the spine above the shoulder. It had a baseball size exit. Deer dropped instantly. I don't have any reloading intel for 450bushmaster yet. I'm still shooting through the ten boxes of factory ammo I bought when I bought the upper.

I belive the factory is a 250gr I originally shot a box of them to have brass nd started loading the 225s for more speed to reach to 300 yds but didn't realize it was meant for 800-2100 fps

I shoot a 45 Raptor in michigan due to the straight wall regs. I load for my gun and 3 others I've built - so a ton of bullets have been tested. 240/300 xtp mags, 300 parker ballistic extreme, 200/275 barnes, 250 bonded shockwave, etc.
I know a guy who shoots the 225 ftx with good results, BUT like the 200 barnes- it doesn't exit when the distance extends to 140+ yards (lose momentum quickly).
I shot the 250 maker bullet this year and was thoroughly impressed with it's terminal ballistics. The barnes 245 spitfire shot really well, but haven't tested it on hair yet.
1 bullet that is on my hitlist is a cutting edge bullet. They have some lighter weight bullets that are reported to be very accurate and deadly.
The 250 ftx is hit or miss for terminal results - the 45 raptor will fragment it badly.
IMO - we need a 220-230gr partition, barnes, ceb, hammer - this is the sweet spot for trajectory/sd/recoil/terminal results.

Last edited:
Ya I'd like to do a gel test at 200 yds to see penetration supposedly I have 1700 fps at 200 yet nd 1400 energy I would think that would pass thru yet...definitely enough to drop them yet. I have a 350 legend but the 450 bm shoots as accurate with more speed nd dropping power, I would like to load for the 350 to cause the factory stuff sucks but can't even get bullets for it right now and from the 350 bullets available they all suck, most is all pistol stuff

Ya I'd like to do a gel test at 200 yds to see penetration supposedly I have 1700 fps at 200 yet nd 1400 energy I would think that would pass thru yet...definitely enough to drop them yet. I have a 350 legend but the 450 bm shoots as accurate with more speed nd dropping power, I would like to load for the 350 to cause the factory stuff sucks but can't even get bullets for it right now and from the 350 bullets available they all suck, most is all pistol stuff

try the 150 maker trex for your 350 L. that's a great bullet for this cartridge.

Tagging in. My 450 BM dies just showed up. I plan to start testing as soon as I can find some primers, lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts