Hornady 180 ELD on game?

7 saum 180 eld-m @3030 fps 098EA0BC-514F-4975-B957-93672AFDCD0D.jpeg
Deer 595 yards dead right there
EE86EA92-BBAF-4AAA-A88E-F5ABEE40B340.jpegElk 555 yards 10 steps and dead
FBB73A6F-B1A9-41CD-AD6E-4C96A1CC11B6.jpeg Perfect shot

Both the ELD-M and ELD-X are extremely accurate, and highly frangible. The X is less so and thereby the only ELD that is recommended for hunting. Both versions have excellent BC and long range ballistics.

Hornady designed both projectiles for superior long range performance. In hunting situations, for the ELD as well as for nearly all bullets, the bullet performance is highly dependent on impact velocity. The frangible characteristic engineered into the ELD line makes for more unpredictable performance on game at high impact velocities (I.e. closer ranges where impact velocity is higher than 2600-2700 fps.)

To overcome the weakness at closer range, Hornady (and the preciously referenced Nathan Foster) recommends hunting with bullets that are typically considered heavy for cartridge. (E.g. over 200gr for 30cal magnums and even the 30-06.)

Based on my own experience, impact velocities above 2600fps do often deliver unpredictable performance. At any velocity, Massive tissue damage is essentially guaranteed, but deep penetration and/or a rapid death is not. If most of the variables line up you often get the unfortunately fashionable bang/flop outcome. Short of that you should expect dramatic tissue loss are sometime lost or lingering death for your harvest.

The ELD bullets are fantastic long range projectiles and should be selected and reserved for that special purpose. If you cannot assure low impact velocities, you should select another bullet.

Both the ELD-M and ELD-X are extremely accurate, and highly frangible. The X is less so and thereby the only ELD that is recommended for hunting. Both versions have excellent BC and long range ballistics.

Hornady designed both projectiles for superior long range performance. In hunting situations, for the ELD as well as for nearly all bullets, the bullet performance is highly dependent on impact velocity. The frangible characteristic engineered into the ELD line makes for more unpredictable performance on game at high impact velocities (I.e. closer ranges where impact velocity is higher than 2600-2700 fps.)

To overcome the weakness at closer range, Hornady (and the preciously referenced Nathan Foster) recommends hunting with bullets that are typically considered heavy for cartridge. (E.g. over 200gr for 30cal magnums and even the 30-06.)

Based on my own experience, impact velocities above 2600fps do often deliver unpredictable performance. At any velocity, Massive tissue damage is essentially guaranteed, but deep penetration and/or a rapid death is not. If most of the variables line up you often get the unfortunately fashionable bang/flop outcome. Short of that you should expect dramatic tissue loss are sometime lost or lingering death for your harvest.

The ELD bullets are fantastic long range projectiles and should be selected and reserved for that special purpose. If you cannot assure low impact velocities, you should select another bullet.

I think the ELD really shine in "fringe" cartridges that push the heavy bullets to 2600-2700 FPS. The insane BC makes up for the starting velocity.

I.e. 7-08 with a 168/180, 30/06 with a 208, 6.5 CM class with 147s etc.

I think the ELD really shine in "fringe" cartridges that push the heavy bullets to 2600-2700 FPS. The insane BC makes up for the starting velocity.

I.e. 7-08 with a 168/180, 30/06 with a 208, 6.5 CM class with 147s etc.
Tar' -
I agree.

I typically hunt with hot cartridges. And My shots are often taken inside of 200 yds, and sometimes inside of 100 yds. So I Can't hunt with ELD's in flat shooters like my 270Win, 270WSM, 300RUM, or 300Win Mag. I've Seen wildly varied and unexpected results from family & buddies' 300WSM.

One bull elk. 602 yards. 3109 FPS MV broadside. DRT

??? What BC are you guys using? I am running .3512 G7 with a 8 TW when I go past 800 yards.

I am told the ABS curve is at .360 G7

Mr Hall your speculation made me smile. But to quote a fellow you might have heard of from younger years, "Hell, I was there!"

Shooting an 8.5 twist rock, velocity 3030 fps. It zooked on a mule deer buck at 360. Softball sized wound in onside rib cage, nothing hit opposite rib cage, very explosive. Same on bear at 300 ish yards. Big whitetail buck at 650 yards, bullet performed well and killed it instantly with less explosiveness.

If I was going 2950 fps again in the 7mm, I'd go 180 grain Scenar.

Trying the 147 eld at 2700 fps in my daughter's rig this fall. Thinking it should do much better. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.