Hornady 150 grain Interlock Flat Base Spire Point

General RE LEE

Picked up a box of 100 of these at Academy Sports for $32. Anyone hunting with these in 308? I've heard they can be very accurate because of the flat base. I bet it's an excellent sub 400 yard deer bullet.

I can't speak of these particular bullets…..but the Hornady Flat Base Spire Points that I've had experience with should be a good, accurate (very accurate) bullet at your .308 Win. velocities. I pushed them a bit harder, and on a close range shot, found them hold together well but shed a lot of weight which hurt penetration! Shouldn't be an issue on deer sized game…..or "between the slats" on larger game! memtb

Last edited:
We've shot in the past the 139gr Interlock in the 7mm-08 and it's accurate and deadly. Last buck taken with it was by my Godson 3 years ago, about 250 yds if I remember correctly, put it through the shoulder, took two steps and done.

Very acccurate and they are a very good deer bullet, I am sure they will work great.

I've heard they can be very accurate because of the flat base.

Hearing, seeing and experiencing are three different things.

If these bullets are accurate simple because of the flat base, how do you account for all the match target shooters shooting boat tails at the longer ranges?

Some flat base bullets are accurate, no doubt, depending on lots of variables but generalizing that ALL flat base bullets are accurate is false.

;)

Hearing, seeing and experiencing are three different things.

If these bullets are accurate simple because of the flat base, how do you account for all the match target shooters shooting boat tails at the longer ranges?

Some flat base bullets are accurate, no doubt, depending on lots of variables but generalizing that ALL flat base bullets are accurate is false.

;)

Lee specifically mentioned 400 yards…..a boat tail offers near-nothing at these ranges! memtb

Lee specifically mentioned 400 yards…..a boat tail offers near-nothing at these ranges! memtb

But they don't fail and are NOT inaccurate.

I shoot thousands of boat tail bullets every year and without fail, they are accurate. To the same extent, I shoot thousands of flat base bullets also. They too can be accurate and also at short distances. Offering near nothing means neither is important in this decision.

One more so than the other, doubtful.

Enjoy the shooting all the time!

:)

When using cup & core bullets, unless bonded or interlocked, at a high velocity impact…..the boat tail has a much higher propensity to shed it's jacket than does a flat base cup & core! Many years ago there was some research done by some pretty well respected gun writers on this! memtb

You've stipulated:

high velocity impact

Which may or may NOT occur, depending on load and cartridge. So many here offer loads which don't qualify for high velocity impact at all.

...the boat tail has a much higher propensity...

Which means just the possibility not an absolute occurrence but also implies that the flat base can suffer from the same instance.

Besides which, isn't dead, dead?

Enjoy whatever trips your trigger, just go shoot!

You've stipulated:

high velocity impact

Which may or may NOT occur, depending on load and cartridge. So many here offer loads which don't qualify for high velocity impact at all.

...the boat tail has a much higher propensity...

Which means just the possibility not an absolute occurrence but also implies that the flat base can suffer from the same instance.

Besides which, isn't dead, dead?

Enjoy whatever trips your trigger, just go shoot!

I suspect that some, may even many, on this forum will occasionally hunt timber where shots may be under 30 yards! Some of us have made shots measured in feet.

I had numerous failures with a boat tail with an mv of around 2600 fps! At ranges from around 30 yards to around 100 yards. I'll not risk that again!

When the shooter knows that he will not exceed 400 yards in the "long game"….likely he should be prepared for the 'short game"!

For myself, and only speaking for me, my cartridge is fully capable out to 900+ ….though my personal limit is 600 yards. My shots could vary from quite close to the aforementioned 600 yards in the same day of hunting, on game from deer to elk…including potentially dangerous animals. Consequently, I use a mono, with is reliable from the muzzle to my self-imposed range limit!

Obviousl, my bullet requirements are not that of everyone! But, perhaps should be considered by everyone hunting conditions such as I described!

Very respectfully, memtb

But they don't fail and are NOT inaccurate.

I shoot thousands of boat tail bullets every year and without fail, they are accurate. To the same extent, I shoot thousands of flat base bullets also. They too can be accurate and also at short distances. Offering near nothing means neither is important in this decision.

One more so than the other, doubtful.

Enjoy the shooting all the time!

I never implied boat tails were inaccurate in my original post. All my bullets are boat tails and are very accurate. These 150 grain SP are actually the only flat based bullets in my collection.

I hope they do really well. I have not used them either but I have worked up a load with the .312" version of the 150 interlock for my Mosin PU to try to kill a deer with this season.

Attachments

• 66E13F67-AD44-49C9-B267-8B9FCB0597E9.jpeg
    66E13F67-AD44-49C9-B267-8B9FCB0597E9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22