Hornady 110 V-Max in 30-06

Hilltop

Is the 110 V-Max worth looking at for the 30-06 1-10 twist. It may be good for say 300 yds?? Any Ideas

battlestick

I had a Rem 700 '06 with a 10 twist and it would only stabilize a 110 to 200 yds. I do not know why, I was driving them around 3300 so I don't like I was pushing them too hard.

I hope you have better luck than I did with them.

Hilltop

I thought that may be the case, so thats no good. What do you think is a good varmint round for the 06 or is there one ?? or just stick to the Nosler BallTip 150??

battlestick

I would suggest you still try it. Your rifle may love them. There is no telling until you try. There are several 110 gr bullets, try them all.

To me, it would be worth the search to find that one that will fly straight. A 110 pushed to 35, or 3600 will be flat as all get out. gun)

I no longer have my 06, it is now a 6.5x55 LA. I should be getting it back any day.

Hilltop

I have a Savage Euro Classic 22" bbl 1-10 twist. I think I will get a box of V-Max and try then.
What speeds and accurate range are you getting with your 06,s

ht

Give the Speer 130rg HP a look, they've always shot very well in my .30 06 and .300 Win Mag. And I guaranty they'll stabilize past 200 yards.... :rolleyes:
Good luck.

jlamb

I had good luck with them in a stock M700. Use H4895 or equivlent speed powder.

Pistol packer

the bearing surface seems to small in some rifles and esp. at high speeds with rapid twist rifling. the speer 130 gr hp is fantastic with fantasic results plus you can push it at least as fast as you are with the "reduced 110 loads".

i have shot them out of a 300 at over 3700 fps and they always held together with fantastic results. at that speed tho, there is not much left of them. slower speeds might just cause an internal blowup on the critter and less of an exit hole.

doc

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce