Hornaday Concentricity Gauge Reviews

BCMAG2

I am thinking of using the Hornaday concentricity gauge that is advertised to "fix" bullet run out. Does this device work as advertised? Has anyone noticed any accuracy or velocity issues with rounds that have had their concentricity "fixed" as compared to those that did not require it?

ok unit. I use it to check run out and amount. THEN find out WHY, and correct the problem

Yes.......in a perfect world with perfect brass and perfect techniques and perfect dies, there would never be bullet run out.

But in the real world there is from time to time. So my question is, has anyone who has actually used the Hornaday device to correct bullet run out observed any difference in ballistic performance as a result?

My hunting bud has unit and I have used it. If I take ammo that he checked as .002 on my sinclair it may read .004. My sinclair read more accurate always. I have adjusted run out with various holes drilled in bench and treaked bullet with same success as hornady. But on my unit when it hits .005 results are hard to get, so now rather than waste my time, mark with sharpie and are rock buster rounds

Yes.......in a perfect world with perfect brass and perfect techniques and perfect dies, there would never be bullet run out.

But in the real world there is from time to time. So my question is, has anyone who has actually used the Hornaday device to correct bullet run out observed any difference in ballistic performance as a result?

yes, you can use the little screw to eliminate run out. any difference in "ballisitc" performance, no. accuracy, "some". best use of the tool is to find out WHAT to change to eliminate problem at the source.

BCMAG2

I use the Hornady tool to measure and fix myammo (bring it all within 0.002"). I useRCBS dies and take no special measures to load straight ammo and it shows as I'llsometimes have ammo up to 0.020" off though most of it is 0.005" or better. I load for everything from 22-250 to 338 RUMand they group 4 shots at 200 yards anywhere from 0.750" to 1.750" and run 2 to6 inches at 600 yards. I don't much getflyers which seemed to stop when I started fixing concentricity errors. The sentiment on the Hornady tool seems to bethat it isn't accurate enough or consistent enough or that you should not useammo that is bent back straight. Basedon my experience, I don't agree with those sentiments.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I already have the Sinclair concentricity gauge, and it works great. In my caliber---280 Ackley--I was only able to find the RCBS seater die in stock anywhere. Although the Nosler custom case necks show great concentricity of 1 thou or less after resizing, half the bullets show run out above 3 thou, even though I chamfer the mouths and use graphite lube. I will try the Hornady just to see if straightening run out improves accuracy. If it doesn't work, I'm only out $100, and some day I'll get a better seater die when one comes back in stock somewhere.

Not trying to be a butthead, but sometimes I'm just a natural :) OK, so I live in the same world as you and I use a lot of different types of brass and dies and for the most part about 60% of my total bullet runout (with seated bullet) is less than .002 and about 90% is less than .003 and I am working on improving that.

That is except for my 300 RUM rounds. They run anywhere from .0005 to .006 and I know why. The reason is I'm using a standard FL die which sizes the necks OD down to .331 on the down stroke and back up to .3335 - .334 (depending on non turned neck variation) on the up stroke. Seated OD is .336 - .3365. All this working of the brass is excessive and helps produce runout. I am using a carbide expander ball and lubbing the inside of the neck and runout would probably be worse without. The correct fix for this is not a tool that attempts to fix a problem after the fact. The correct fix is to fix the problem which is to get a die that minimally works the brass.

Think about what attempting to straighten a seated bullet means. It requires manipulating the shape of the brass neck. Not a good idea to me. That has to lead to inconsistent neck tension.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I already have the Sinclair concentricity gauge, and it works great. In my caliber---280 Ackley--I was only able to find the RCBS seater die in stock anywhere. Although the Nosler custom case necks show great concentricity of 1 thou or less after resizing, half the bullets show run out above 3 thou, even though I chamfer the mouths and use graphite lube. I will try the Hornady just to see if straightening run out improves accuracy. If it doesn't work, I'm only out $100, and some day I'll get a better seater die when one comes back in stock somewhere.

Send some fired cases or a reamer print to John Whidden and get a custom seater. Money better spent.

I gained on my ammo buy using a vld chamfer, it made a difference. Think it eases it into center better. And I just drilled holes in my bench and treeked bullet that way and seemed to work as well as Hornady set up

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts