Hornaday 180 grain 7mm ELD bullet

AggieHunter

Is anyone hunting w/this bullet? I have options Hornaday ELDX 175 grain, Berger 175 grain Elite Hunter or Nosler ABLR 175 grain?

Thoughts?

I have yet to shoot game with them but I have them loaded up and ready to shoot. Nathan Foster has written quite a bit about hunting with the 180eldm and seems to be very impressed with their performance.

I just worked up a nice load with them in my 7-300 win mag at 2950-3000fps. Havent shot any animals with them yet, but I would have no doubts using them on big game at LR. They are not a close range bullet on heavy bodied game or to smash through bone. I have always previously used the 162g AMAX and had great luck with them on deer and elk out to 1125 yards.

I use JBM's free ballistics calculator for drop charts and the 180gr ELDM's trajectory is impressive. What apps do you all use and do you find it accurate?

I use it in my 7LRM - taken a muley and a cow elk - both dropped on the spot. I did have bullets start blowing up when pushing it above 3000fps though. No issues when running at the 2970fps node.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.