Horizantal spread

Ok, I digress for a minute. Even this dumb ole country boy understands the "scientific method" For those unfamiliar it is to identify possible factors to your problem, isolate and eliminate them them systematically and the cause will reveal itself. Or thats the jist of it I recall any way.
Browning has given not only a specific "factor" but a method to eliminate it.
Instead of just saying it could be a lot of things and is probably your shooting.
Way more helpful. Ok I'll get off my soap box now.

Is this a proven load in this rifle?? Has this rifle shot this load well before and now is grouping horizontally. When working up a load, I have horizontal groups sometimes, this just tells me load development is not finished. If this used to shoot and now want, I would say you had a bedding issue.

A couple different loads had this issue. The rifle is really unproven. Have you determined any common denominator in the loads that do this?

Is this a proven load in this rifle?? Has this rifle shot this load well before and now is grouping horizontally. When working up a load, I have horizontal groups sometimes, this just tells me load development is not finished. If this used to shoot and now want, I would say you had a bedding issue.

I too have experienced a few loads that for some reason produced a more horizontal spread than other loads. Sometimes it's fixed by seating depth and other times powder charge changes. If you eliminate the parallax adjustment as a potential cause and still have horizontal stringing then I would assume you have a bedding issue. Before I would mess with the bedding I would try a few different loads to see if the horizontal stringing goes away. If you still have the horizontal stringing problem than I would think a bedding issue would be the last possible problem.

When diagnosing a problem like you're having, I always try to eliminate possible causes in order of cheapest to most expensive. I've been surprised how often I fix my problem with something a lot simpler and cheaper than I would have initially expected.

I was just thinking along those very lines. I do believe we have formulated a plan. Will head out to the reloading bench and then the range. Then to the gun smith if necessary. Be back in a few days with results.

If you need to bed it, save yourself 300 bucks and do it yourself. There is a post on snipershide in the top of the gunsmithing section that gives very detailed instructions on how to do it. If I can do it, any one can, trust me.

Not sure if this is the same reply but if it isn't a full floated barrel how about possible barrel heating and moving in the stock? Or something wrong with the scope?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.