Hoping to hunt CO mule deer this fall

sambo3006

I should draw my rifle second season mule deer buck tag for Colorado unit 62 this year. I've killed a spike and a doe with my bow and a spike with my muzzleloader but never a nice mule deer buck. If I draw I will be hunting with some friends that live out there. She killed a 192" in 2007 and he has a 196" on the wall, both from that unit. I have no illusions of killing one that big but a 140" 4x4 would just tickle me pink. Anybody else kill any whoppers from Unit 62? (Not asking for any honey holes, just curious).

I didnt kill a whopper last year but harvested a meat buck (3xspike) in 62 last year on the last day.

I was hunting not far out of Montrose along the farm lands. I did see one nice 170+" 4x4 that I couldnt get a shot on and just couldnt close the deal on another 4x3. I passed on a very nice 3x3 a couple of different times. I could have harvested any old smallish to medium buck every day but was holding out for a really nice one untill the last day.

All in all, it was a very fun and action packed hunt. Finding big ones is tough in this unit unless you have inside info which it sounds like you have.

This was the first deer I have ever "dropped" in its tracks. Shot was 318 yards using the 150 ACCUBOND @ 2800 FPS.

deer08_057_-_Copy.jpg

Checked on the Colorado DOW website and it looks like I'll be hunting mule deer! Now, which rifle to use? I have a stock for my 7mm RUM that I need to bed it to. I have had very good accuracy with the 150 gr BT, but I live about 25 miles from the guy who makes JLK bullets and I'm tempted to try some of their 168 or 180 VLD's. I'm sure any of those bullets would make short work of a buck as far as I could hit him. My longest kill to date is 589 yds, hopefully I can find a good buck at 600 yds or less.

Second season. Are you coming out again Michael? If so it would be nice to say hi to a hard core hunter and fellow LRH member.

7mm Rum sending 180vlds @ 3200fps will kill any animal in America beyond 1000 yards (except for maybe rare giant bears)

A 7mm Rum will not only send a deer flying but it would also probably cut and wrap it in one shot. :D (Joking)

Good luck lefty (sambo3006) from another lefty on your Colo tags. We both finally drew premier unit 55 mulie buck tags for second rifle this yr so we are really happy about that. Last mule deer I kilt in our honey hole was a doe at 37 yards. After I shot her a 4x4 buck walked out and looked to see where she went, but I had no buck tag. Good luck to ya.

No kidding! More oranges then deer on public land, this is just north of Craig. Those private land owners make so much money off of hunters due to crazy amount of animals.

Thanks, silvertip-co.
My first mule deer was in 1997 with my bow in the Uncompahgre. I had been hunting for about 5 or 6 days and had only seen a few small bucks. I made an awesome stalk on a mature doe and double lunged her from 8 steps. No sooner had she fallen than a group of deer (I believe she was the lead doe) came walking along the same path including a probable P&Y 4x4. Unfortunately she could not be revived and I had to let the beautiful buck walk. No regrets on taking her, though. My first western bow kill.

I drew a muzzleloader tag for unit 62. I have not been in the unit before, but was planning on hunting in the northern/middle part of the Uncompahgre National Forest. Any information would be appreciated. We plan on camping and hunting on foot. Is their a lot of ATV hunting in this area?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.