Hoping for boots I really like this time!

Toddesea

So first off wanted to give a thank you to whoever recommended camo fire. It was on a thread I pulled on lrh somewhere reading about packs. Going to Mt for elk god willing this year. So far happy with the new daypack. Kuiu venture 2300. Just pulled the trigger on a pair of la sportiva trango cube hunters. So hard to get just the right boot without going into the $500 plus range for kenetreks or Crispi. Training in the Appalachians. We shall see if the make the cut. Anyone have any experience with these let me know.

camofire and fedex did there part. Got them last night. Took em out for a little hike today. First impression is I am gonna like them. I like a lot of support and a stiff some for back country work. Check those two boxes. Only a couple hours out today, but with pretty steep terain and a lot of sidehilling on frozen ground and a few inches of snow. No hot spots and in true la sportiva fashion the more difficult the terain the better they respond. Light weight waterproof and stiff. So far so good. Let's see how they hold up!

As an experienced montana hunter make sure you have a boot that's comfortable. There is nothing worse then a bad boot. I hunted in cheap boots (200 or less) for many years. I live and hunt in western Montana. This last year I bought a pair of crispi and it was one of the best investments I have gotten. Hunted in feet of snow at times and feet stayed warm and dry. Buy once cry once. Good luck in mt

Hey all,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm happy with the new boots. Prolly got 40 miles of appalachian hiking on them so far. Comfortable right out of the box. Might upgrade footbed at some point for a little more cushion. Only downside is I should have order full size up for heavier socks. They are stiff and waterproof. Should serve me well as a three season boot. I got winter mountaineering boots for extra cold and longer sits. Love camofire, check it every morning to find stuff I didn't know I needed!
Todd

I live in southwestern Montana on the west side of the divide at 5500 feet altitude and the best winter footwear I've found is the Lacrosse Alphaburly Pro with 1600g insulation and ICETrekkers Diamond Grip traction cleats. If I add Grabber Footwarmers I can sit in subzero conditions in several feet of snow on the ground for hours without getting cold feet. As for a hiking boot, I like my Kenetrek boots.

Regardless of what boot you choose, the fit is the key and most people buy boots that are too tight. You need dead air space in order to keep your feet warm but too loose will make it difficult to keep your balance and you'll get blisters. I typically choose hiking boots that are 1 size larger than my regular city walking shoes.

Similar to Rammac, I prefer boots that are 1/2 to 1 size big. That way I have room to add padded insoles and when colder add a little thicker socks. When it's hot I merely tighten up the laces. I work outside here in Colo all winter long and have never needed insulated boots. If I'm sitting in one spot all day I often where a different pair of boots like sorels that have heavy insulation plus thicker socks. It's really nice to have several boots to choose from!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.