Hope For This Year?

Hate to say this, but I think this will be the "new normal". Man, I hate that saying... I'm good for now with everything aside from pistol primers, but don't shoot pistol much anyway...

I hope Remington (Vista Outdoors) ramps up to producing ammo at full capacity. Around the clock, 24-7! I can't help but think them closing the doors back in July 2020, only made it worse. Being down an ammo manufacturer (and one of the few primer manufacturers) can not help.

Fairly recent article (2/5/2021) says Vista Outdoors has the "Lonoke ammo plant in full gear"

It's going to be rough for a while. Primers are definitely the bottleneck. Most of what is being produced is going towards the shortage of factory ammo. Try and get to know folks in your area that reload and may be able to get some stock to at least start. Powder is hit or miss but bullets seem easier to find.

I've been doing a bit of bartering and a bit of goodwill here, and that seems to be the best way to get what you need. What sucks is that in times like these there are a lot of profiteers competing for available product. I'm not going to say whether it is wrong or right- but I won't pay or play that game. Are you close to midsouth shooter supply? You may want to take a trip there if you are.....

I'm diving into reloading and have been able to get everything I need to get started except powder and primers. I fired several boxes of 7mm STW, 6.5 CM, 308 and 30 06 so I've got the brass.

Anyone anticipate the primers and powders to become available this year? I want to start developing loads before this fall.
Move to Alberta! But for the South and following all the reports from all the manufacturing ammo companies...not this YEAR! They all state that every available primer and bullet is going into finished ammo sales....not caring about home reloaders apparently! My best supplier here at home told me 4 days ago when I picked up 2000 primers that Hornady told him not to expect any bullets ( tips) this YEAR! BUT he has strong supply from others. He was told the same from Federal on primers....but ..just received 200,000.

Yeah!!!!! P.S.......guess i should have read all the way thru....or looked up... lmao

I belong to a couple of reloading forums, and what I am finding is that the components are coming out in dribbles and drabs. I've been able to find brass and bullets, powder and primers are a bit more challenging, however they too are starting to hit the shelves, especially in the big box store distributors like Bass Pro, Midway and Powder Valley. What I am also seeing is an at least 50% jump in prices. You will have to be resourceful and keep doing the computer searches like we all are doing. I also reload and shoot pistol and have had good luck with shooting cast bullets. Present day shooters would never think about shooting cast bullets because many of them are accustomed to shooting cartridges that are going 9000fps and cast bullets cannot be shot at those speeds........... I'm now shooting cast bullets out of the 45-70, and thinking about casting for the 30-06. Just another alternative that I thought I would throw out there. When I'm shooting cast bullets I am still out at the range with my son, playing with my toys and finding the challenge of getting those bullets to group like they are jacketed bullets.

In my area components are coming in little by little. Usually it's very slim pickens and not what I would call ideal. So I'd ration current supplies for a shortage that could last 5 years, possibly longer depending on the next elections. It's a good time to practice dry firing.

Keep a lookout on the reloading for sale page, find some people close to where you live on here. Some of the most helpful people you're going to find are right here. Plus (1) don't get too discouraged (2) Find every hole-in-the wall gun shop near you (3) Don't shoot up everything you have. Patience will go a long way in these times. Good luck hunting, in another manner LOL

Thank you everyone! I'm in the Nashville, TN area. Just got my kit. Not pictured is a tumbler and RCBS shell trimmer I also picked up. I've got dies on the way.
Do you know what primers, powder and bullets you need? I have a fair stash and know where to get more. I will be comming to Nashville next week too for vacation, maybe I can help.

I'm diving into reloading and have been able to get everything I need to get started except powder and primers. I fired several boxes of 7mm STW, 6.5 CM, 308 and 30 06 so I've got the brass.

Anyone anticipate the primers and powders to become available this year? I want to start developing loads before this fall.
Powder and primers come available every so often but you better be fast you need to get on everybody's list to get alerts as soon as They receive anything

Do you know what primers, powder and bullets you need? I have a fair stash and know where to get more. I will be comming to Nashville next week too for vacation, maybe I can help.

Looking for powder for my 7mm STW like
H1000 or RL25 and powder for my 6.5 Creed like H4350. Also need some large rifle primers so I can get started.
I have put in notify me when in stock at Midway. I need to do same for Bass Pro.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.