Hoover Meplat Timmer and Pointing Die System .338 Lapua

Who else on this forum could I speak for?

Meanwhile, I'm not aware of any NBRSA 1000 yard benchrest aggregate group record with more than 4 groups that all of them are no larger than 5.000 inches. And the three 5-shot group agg record of 3.920 inches, its largest one may well be over 5 inches. Same for the six 5-shot group agg of 4.6042 inches.

As for the PA 1K yard benchrest club, only one of their 6 Match Group Aggregate is under 5 inches; 4.8813. And I'd bet at least one group was over 5 inches; probably two.

All these rifle and ammo and shooter systems at their very best drive tacks with heads at least 6 inches in diameter, in my opinion. Maybe 7 inches if the largest groups shot in too record agg's was easily available without having to read them on their bulletin board's results sheet. If someone knows of better 1K yard group agg's, let me know. I know of half a dozen or more 10-shot groups at 600 yards that were all no more than 1/4 MOA (1.5 inch or less) and the smallest were almost 1/10th MOA, testing bullets that had been sorted for perfect balance .

I too was sort of wondering how so many folks are able to shoot so much better that the state of the art 60 pound benchrest rifles (with their 80 power scopes)? I have come to realize Bruce Baer and his buddies must not be that good? :)

I have some very expensive target and tactical rifles, the best reloading equipment money can buy, and coming up on 40 years behind the trigger. I recently entered a competition that asked for 5-5 shot groups under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. I grabbed my heavy 300Win and graduated that club (on my first try). I was then promoted and challenged to do the same at 300 yards.

Let me tell you...5-5 shot groups at 1/2 MOA @ 300 yards is a real challenge for me!
Most guys were folding under pressure and blew it on the 4th or 5th group. I made it on my third try, but feel lucky to have done so. Some of my groups were are the verge.
I have not been able to meet that challenge at 600 yards, but I will see what I can do with my 18 pound 6mmbr....If there is a combination that can do it for me, this is it!

Wish me luck! :)

Let me tell you...5-5 shot groups at 1/2 MOA @ 300 yards is a real challenge for me!
Rail guns may well be the best things to do that with. Especially when they're a 3-point suspension design; mechanically the most repeatable for going back into battery. Sierra Bullets uses them tesing their bullets. The best Sierra match bullets, even the 30 caliber ones, put one 10-shot group after another into 1/4 MOA in their indoor 200 yard test range.

A complete rifle can be clamped in a machine rest and do just as well. Such rigs have been used since the early 1960's testing match rifles and their ammo for accuracy held the way they nomally are when fired from ones shoulder. This one belongs to David Tubb and was built by his Dad, George Tubb back then. A dozen or so of these have been built. One held a Win. 70 based match rifle in a wood stock shooting those sub 1/4 MOA 600 yard groups I mentioned earlier.

254765260_139624abd8.jpg
254765249_4c32d1a311.jpg

One of his Tubb 2000 rifles is clamped in it; padded jaws around the front tube (or on the fore end of a conventional stock) and bolts with ball tips clamped into steel escutcheons in the side of the butt rod (or butt stock on a conventional rifle). A recoil plate's clamped against the butt pad. The top cradle weighs about 50 pounds and slides back a bit over an inch shooting .308 Win. ammo. Very repeatable; I measured one that repeated the barrel's in battery firing position to less than 1/60th MOA.

Then there's the stuff used in "Secrets of the Houston Warehouse.":

Secrets of the Houston Warehouse

Ah yes, the Huston Warehouse. :)
Given air currents and wind it is is amazing the accuracy we can attain at 300+ yards.

All the things you can do in reloading nothing trumps to what pointing bullets with a Hoover system.
Shoot F class with 223 Rem 90 gr bullets
Shooting a 15 relay at 900 m on calm evening at Connaught ranges with pointed bullets
15 shots in 10" and 12 of 15 in 5" vbull.
Shot another 10 group same evening with unpointed bullets 2 v bulls 6 bulls and two just out of bull.

At 300 y I really don,t see much in pointing but it shows at 400y

manitou

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts