Homemade steel targets???

Here is a photo of our back yard pistol range to keep practiced up for the adventure / woods walk shoots we attend with .22's & straight wall Center fire pistols most of these are from steel I purchased at a scrap yard cut from a dozer blade between 1/2" & 5/8" thick. Some of the small animals are thinner steel. We can move back and forth and get back to about 70-75 yards if we want. I don't have a way to cut out cool shapes so I get what the scrap yard cuts out. We also have a couple horse shoes & rail road spikes to shoot at. The yellow painted targets are 1/8" and for 22lr only

20160710_181817_zps4ed7kpro.jpg
Nice.

Thanks I just realized that is an older photo and we have added 6 more 10" x 10" targets and a couple small .22 targets.

I'm planning on adding a dualing tree this summer as well.

I shot mild steel targets for a long time.1/2 plate.but now only have reg steel on one target at 958 yards. It has taken many rounds from big 7s,300,and 338 imp. It looks like hammered hen **** but works.But have progressed to ar 400 1/2 plate for all my targets from 280 yards to 1400 and every where in between and am very happy with it.the mild steel wouldn't hold up much below 800 yes with my setups. I go some quality compound bowstrings from proline to hand it with. I do have a disk blade set up I use for mile shots but wouldn't use it much closer than 1200 yds. Just my thoughts.I think a 4x8 sheet of ar 400 cost me around 400-450 bucks and I just plasma cut targets and hang them on t posts works great.

It should work fine in my experience you just have to make sure you mount it at an angle to maximize the lifespan.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.