Home moly coated bullets?

budlight

is it a good idea or bad idea? I noticed right off a decrease in FPS. Which would indicate that the moly and Carnuba wax compound does make the bullet slide out the barrel easier.

My moly .277 150 gr. between two 169.5 vlds

170gr.jpg

I personally shoot moly in all of my hunting rifles. I do my own coating with a Neco kit and it works great. I love going to a Benchrest match and not having to clean during the entire match. My last group of the last match measured .130. What's not to like.:D

Regards,
Paul

I have had good results with moly, a lot of people swear it is the devil.
I feel that most people that have problems with moly do not apply the moly correctly. If a little is good, more may not be better.
Read all you can about moly, both the bad and the good and decide for yourself if the process is worth the hassle and mess to you.
I shoot moly in all of the familys rifles and in my rat rifles. Moly really shines with small high velocity loads.
You will have to tweak your loads to get your velocities back, or, you might not have to do any tweaking at all.
Good luck with your decision. JW

I ask this because on Sunday I needed to dial in a 243 with a specific moly coated 80gr spbt for vaminting. That is all this rifle will be shooting. Just dial in one specific round per rifle is kind of where I have come to over the years.

So anyway the friend was doing 243 chrono time using some of my worked up H100V and superformance powders. So at the end of the day we places quart water jugs out at various long ranges. He ran out of shells and I offered him my moly coated and he declined because he did not want to foul up his rifling. I've used home moly for years and i actually think that it extended barrel life in my 30-378.

I was just wondering if new scientific data has come out with pro's and con's. IMO. I now swab out black instead of using barnes copper fouling remover and swabing out green

i used to use moly, now i use HBN.. all the + of moly, zero of the -

i have a tub of moly if anyone wants to buy it..

i used to use moly, now i use HBN.. all the + of moly, zero of the -

i have a tub of moly if anyone wants to buy it..

I know a lot of guys using HBN in 600 and 1000 yard benchrest.....it really makes the gun slide on the bags like ice on ice. None of them use it on thier bullets anymore.

using moly for bullet a lubricant coating is a very good idea, and any/all of the bad things you have heard about it are not true ,,,, they are just old wives' tales ,,,, ((but better than an old girl-friend's tail))

an even better projectile lubricant coating is NP3, from ROBAR companies in Phx AZ ,,,, but a little pricy and there is an MOQ when you have it done ,,,,,

and I know that I will catch FLACK here with the following statement, but anyone that complains that moly or NP3 builds up in their barrel, needs to just work on their barrel cleaning techniques ,,,,,,

using moly for bullet a lubricant coating is a very good idea, and any/all of the bad things you have heard about it are not true ,,,, they are just old wives' tales ,,,, ((but better than an old girl-friend's tail))

an even better projectile lubricant coating is NP3, from ROBAR companies in Phx AZ ,,,, but a little pricy and there is an MOQ when you have it done ,,,,,

and I know that I will catch FLACK here with the following statement, but anyone that complains that moly or NP3 builds up in their barrel, needs to just work on their barrel cleaning techniques ,,,,,,

2 things... the big bad in moly is if it gets wet, its acidic... thats a fact

NP3 is not used a a bullet coating... NP3 is a plating process, and adds thickness to whatever you put it on.. thats why its only used on the outsides of gun parts... not in the bores..

there is only about 3 things used for bullet coating...

moly
HBN and WS2

out of those, HBN is clearly top dog

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts