Home defense ?? ***robberies***

bigbuck

I was wondering what you guys rely on for home defense ? I have a .45 AUTO I have a concealed weapons permit and I usually carry when I have to travel any distance when the family is with me. I have become very observant here lately . We have had breakins or robberies all around my house I mean it appears that they went through my back yard to get to the neighbors . The first time they hit my neighbor they have a rental house they hit the rental and broke the neighbors door but got spooked and left without taking anythig . Two weeks later they break back into the neighbors house on a thursday evening . Two more houses broken into on my street . Total makes 4 houses. Then 1 house on the next street. Then I heard they got another residents house and stole 3,000 worth of guns. This sucks I havent even put the presents under the Christmas tree yet for fear that they will clean me out . Is it this bad where you live ? They have been spotted it is 2 men and a women .

I am thinking of buying some hidden video cameras and maybe an infrared game camera to maybe catch them crossing my property .

I guess it all depends where I am at in my house! The all time classic.....Two loud barking dogs! Followed by a .45, .40, 2 - 12 gauges, and an AR15 all strategically placed. I encourage strangers to stop by! Merry Christmas........Ho Ho Ho!

Similar situation in my neighborhood. A good safe, update locks and doors, 9mm in arms length most times. Pray when they come for the dealer across the street the address on the warrant is correct.

Dont really have that problem yet live in a very small town, but always have an m&p 40c handy anyway. Just in case :D

I used to have guns scattered throughout the house so I would always have access to one no matter where I am. My wife is not comfortable with guns so I always told her to grab the shotgun first because the sound of a shotgun racking a shell is usually enough to scare an intruder away because that sound cannot be mistaken as something other than what it is. A pistol racking a round is not nearly as intimidating as a shotgun (the robber won't know if it's a 10 gauge or a .410). Unfortunately, I can no longer do that since I have a 4 year old that likes to do things he's told not to do lol So now I have a glock 22 (40S&W) that sits in the dresser in my bedroom. However, the shotgun is loaded and the very first gun (followed by my M4) in my safe on the other end of the house.

You can also try putting up motion activated flood lights in your backyard. This will keep them from traversing your property because they do not want to be seen.

One thing about the camera. It might give assistance to the local authorities. I have 4 spread around my property.

Given the amount of criminal activity that you mentioned, I'd spend my money on sensor lights, cameras and an intimidating dog (maybe 2) before relying on the last resort. If all else fails, the 12ga is pretty effective at stopping an unwanted intrusion.

Outside ...

trespass.jpg

148754_498751233497886_646810287_n1_zpse90a6a76.jpg

Bedroom ...

- Karelian Bear Dog
- Within my reach, 12G shotgun, .44 Mag, .45 ACP, .30 Cal M1, and 18" bolo knife
- Within the wife's reach, 9MM and 12G shotgun (and she knows how to use them without hesitation) :Dgun)

It's Montana, "SSS" ... need I say more !!!:rolleyes::):cool:

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun
And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son"

Great song by the way...............

Well, barking dogs are a VERY good deterrent----we have 5.
And I still believe the very best home defense gun is the tried and true short barreled 870 loaded with number 4 buck. It literally will destroy anything inside the house.
And of course that would be backed up with a .45 semi auto, a glock .40 that my honey uses and then the AR's.
After all that is used----then you call the sheriffs department.....

Randy

Attachments

• All Photos on card reader one 1157.jpg
    All Photos on card reader one 1157.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 13
We had 3 that got busted here because of cameras. The gal would drive up and knock on the door. if no one answered she'd laeve and get on the cell phone and 2 guys would drive in and rob the place. All 3 were dressed as salesmen. What got them caught was a photo of the license plate. They were from accross the border in Wisc. I'm talking rural setting here.

I don't agree with the cameras, they could work against you! It's all how you write the report!

I'm curious - how would cameras work against you?

It seems that more criminals are positively identified by cameras than by fingerprints or DNA. Cameras placed in conspicuous places would be a strong deterrent and the dopes who fail to see them usually end up on the evening news. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.