Home Defense ARs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
i went the pistol route and got a .300BO upper. Building the lower this week as I work from home. I am a master certified smith, so I can assemble the trickiest of AR lowers. 🤣😆

View attachment 186208
So, you know the black art of detent ball/spring recovery ? You will truly be an asset in the bright new world , post coronavirus !

You will probably get into the whiskey some night, post dumb crap on here, pass out, get conked over the head in a drunken stupor, get the new BO taken away from you.
All I got.

I post dumb crap without drinking.

I live on 5 acres, 12 ga with 1 1/4 oz slugs with 00 buck as first round to get their attention so not worried about pass through. Long time family friend and police chief once gave me advice on self protection that I still believe today. He said "If not 1 and done, you are probably done". He strongly believed from his experience the first shot has to be the effective shot that either eliminates or incompacitate the bad guy. And he hated 9's. So I lean on the heavy side. Heck maybe the bore diameter will scare the bad guy off before I have to pull trigger.

12 gauge--

Yup................Rem 870, slug barrel (smooth bore/Imp. cyl), extended tube magazine, 3 inch, 12 gauge, #4 Buck= 41-->> .25 caliber pellets traveling 1200fps, that's 41 rounds in less then a second. At 25 yards it groups about the size of a 5 gallon bucket; and......there's seven of them in the tube. Don't have to worry about hitting the neighbor's house or someone walking on the street. To diversify a one-ounce slug out to a 100 yards is quite accurate also, but I do not see 100 yards as being called "home defense"!

I also am a fan of a nice 12 gauge and like to run #4 buck shot . We all have a brand of shot gun we like and some like auto loaders over pump guns . I really don't care what brand mine is just so that it is reliable but for myself I prefer a pump as the sound of chambering a round has a psychological effect on people . I like to pull the plug so I can have 5 rounds instead of 3 if I need more then 5 rounds then I will have my 40 S&W loaded with HST's , in hand by the time I run through them . I don't mind a good AR with a 16 " barrel but think you have to be very selective about the ammo you select for home defense so as not to do harm to those that you are wanting to protect by shooting through walls doors ect. .

I also am a fan of a nice 12 gauge and like to run #4 buck shot . We all have a brand of shot gun we like and some like auto loaders over pump guns . I really don't care what brand mine is just so that it is reliable but for myself I prefer a pump as the sound of chambering a round has a psychological effect on people . I like to pull the plug so I can have 5 rounds instead of 3 if I need more then 5 rounds then I will have my 40 S&W loaded with HST's , in hand by the time I run through them . I don't mind a good AR with a 16 " barrel but think you have to be very selective about the ammo you select for home defense so as not to do harm to those that you are wanting to protect by shooting through walls doors ect. .

No more selective than with buckshot. Lots of good ammo designed expressly for this purpose. Varmints bullets make good HD bullets as do bonded and monolithics depending on your selection criteria. #4 buck is great but I'd say 00 buck is the more common choice/selection and it will definitely zip through drywall and other common barriers without checking up. I'd feel more confident with an AR with 30 VMAX's than a shotgun with even 6-8 shots of any type of buckshot. In either case there are plenty of ammo options with proper projectiles and flash retardant powders

I didn't read every post so if it's already been said then it will be said again. I prefer a CZ scorpion or Stribog for home defense. It makes more sense to me to have a low powered round like a 9mm with hollow points than a fast round like a 223. Obviously a 300 blackout would also work but after shooting both a scorpion and an AR pistol in 300 blackout I preferred the scorpion. It's much cheaper to shoot a 9mm than a blackout, so that's nice too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts