Home Defense ARs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
I always thought a Kel Tec 22 mag with 30 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense would be about perfect for home defense.
Does anyone make a 22 WMR AR?
I cant recall anyone who makes a 22 mag in an AR, but i know of a company that makes a 17 hmr AR15 , in a conversion or a complete rifle . Alexander arms is the company. The owner of the company was supposedly instrumental in the development of the 6.5 grendel , another very versatle round for a hunting/ defensive AR. I have an upper in that caliber too, but i take it off after deer season in favor of the 223 upper for all around home and yard protection.

I like the 300 blk out. It was designed for pistol length gas systems, so a short barrel configuration is ideal. I just ordered a 230 gr. mold for casting, so I am going to try some subsonic load development. Think softer lead with a hollowpoint. I know the Barnes 110gr black tipped
pills work well supersonic as well as subsonic too.

I cant recall anyone who makes a 22 mag in an AR, but i know of a company that makes a 17 hmr AR15 , in a conversion or a complete rifle . Alexander arms is the company. The owner of the company was supposedly instrumental in the development of the 6.5 grendel , another very versatle round for a hunting/ defensive AR. I have an upper in that caliber too, but i take it off after deer season in favor of the 223 upper for all around home and yard protection.
Would be curious if the Grendel shoots subsonic well? I have one but it has a 24" bull barrel. I see Alexander Arms has the Grendel in pistol length. That might be a fun project.

is
Would be curious if the Grendel shoots subsonic well? I have one but it has a 24" bull barrel. I see Alexander Arms has the Grendel in pistol length. That might be a fun project.
Yea, a grendel pistol works great as a true multipurpose firearm. The short powder colume holds up well out of an 11inch pistol barrel . Short, very compact for up close work and trajectory works out to 300 yards without much brainwork. Still carries the energy to be a solid bambi stopper at 200+. Hard to argue with the numbers for how small the rig is.
Wow, i think i just talked myself into building another 6.5 grendel. This one an 11 inch pistol. Ive built a 24" , 20", and 18" grendel for my son, me, and my daughter respectively. Love that little round !

I agree. Super accurate out to 1000yrds with a 24" barrel. Haven't had it out in awhile. I bought one of the 1st ones from Alexander Arms which has the 264 LBC chambering. It still shoots regular Grendel loads, but the LBC has a tighter throat. Fun round.

I just thought of this when I took mine out for some quarterly maintenance. What about a Saiga 12?

i went the pistol route and got a .300BO upper. Building the lower this week as I work from home. I am a master certified smith, so I can assemble the trickiest of AR lowers. 🤣😆

4E24F674-3340-4A27-B7F8-D2ED1FA29D23.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts