Home Defense ARs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
There is a common misconception that 9mm rounds penetrate less than .223 in home defense situations when in fact the opposite is true. .223 rounds upset quickly upon striking drywall. Frangible specialty rounds do just that and are even better. I grabbed the first of many links I could find on the topic to attach and although not laboratory criteria the results are what I've observed and read in my L.E. career.

I mean, if you wanna do it right... I've got a rifle near every upstairs window, a rest on my balcony, a pistol in any room/hallway that only has one door, and 4 different firearms in the entryway closet depending on what the threat is...

šŸ˜Š

I just ordered a used shoulder holster for a 686. All I need is another L frame and a couple of J frames and I could Outlaw Josie Wales. ;)

I didn't read all 7 pages, but I'm with guys...300 BlackOut with subs and a can. In pistol config would be best, mine is 16".

I don't gain enough velocity with the longer barrel to bother with buying a 16", but I got the barrel for free so I'm going with it.

Here is a short video of a buddy of mine shooting mine with subs and my SOS Hunter Rebel Silencer

Watch "300 BlackOut w/subs" on YouTube

Subs are fun to play with but other than in home self defense are not very impressive.

I've thought about selling the barrel and buying something shorter, but I'm in no rush...

300 BLK, 8.5 Hardened Arms barrel (Hardened Arms has gone out of business) but short barrels are available. This gun is very adequate for close quarters maneuvering and loaded with sub-sonic rounds while packing all of the necessary ballistics for home defense. Loaded with lighter bullets , they have very admirable character for shooting small to medium game at 30/30 ranges.
2412-2017-0604525623767323739.jpeg.jpg

I keep my ar15 in 223 behind door number 3. Its a 16" with a 15" handgaurd. I have a burris 4-14 sitting on top with a burris reflex sight on a 45* mount for close stuff. Id say its definitely my best all around defensive weapon because its is a tack driver, shooting 1/2 moa pretty regularly at 100yds, but is quick up close with the angled reflex sight. Its a blast to play with on my little personal range. I like to set up a target and walk it back. Start out about 20 yds with some off hand quick shooting with the reflex sight, kneeling, peeking out from behind the big white oak at about 50 yrds , etc, etc...at about 60 yds i will change up to the burris scope and continue my backing up , shooting in various positions till im back at the 100 yd concrete bench where i sit down and shoot a ragged little hole of a 5 shot group . Its impressive just how easily it put bullets on target . Great fun and lethal !

I haven't got to play with a canted sight system but I like the idea. Since I have more than one AR I'd set up mine as a dedicated CQB with co witnessed optics. I used Aimpoints but any reliable 1X that you could co witness should work. And though I like the 1-4 optics I tend to stay away from them for serious duty style set ups. Only because even though I've trained hard with variables to make sure I return the magnification to 1X, I screwed up and left them once on 4X. So after that I switched to either very low power mag (2.5X) on 1X on dangerous game or duty weapons.

300 BLK, 8.5 Hardened Arms barrel (Hardened Arms has gone out of business) but short barrels are available. This gun is very adequate for close quarters maneuvering and loaded with sub-sonic rounds while packing all of the necessary ballistics for home defense. Loaded with lighter bullets , they have very admirable character for shooting small to medium game at 30/30 ranges.View attachment 182484

Yup, I think thats what I am looking for. Looks awesome!! Probably have one of those one gun safes in my closet with something like that in there.

I'll have to try some of those out.

If the Hornady 190X subsonics will run in your gun, they're a much more cost-effective option for subsonic expanding in the 300BLK.

ETA: Those little Barnes 110gr black-tipped buggers are pretty impressive if you need to switch mags and reach out a little further, too.

I haven't got to play with a canted sight system but I like the idea. Since I have more than one AR I'd set up mine as a dedicated CQB with co witnessed optics. I used Aimpoints but any reliable 1X that you could co witness should work. And though I like the 1-4 optics I tend to stay away from them for serious duty style set ups. Only because even though I've trained hard with variables to make sure I return the magnification to 1X, I screwed up and left them once on 4X. So after that I switched to either very low power mag (2.5X) on 1X on dangerous game or duty weapons.
The 45* sight mounts take a little getting use to in order to be quick and second nature. I like them better than the stacked mount that sits on top of the scope , just for the closer ailinment with the bore axis. Not that it makes a huge difference for a system meant for cqc , but im just funny about that kinda thing. I have an open site setup like that on another 556 upper i use with a 22lr conversion to help keep me sharp on rotating the rifle for sight ailinment.
You should pick one up and try it.

No two situations are the same. In my life time I have seen some mighty strange things happen in shooting situations. I have witnessed all 30 rounds from a full auto AK of 7.62x39 Wolf HP ammo penetrate a wood sided house with interior dry walls and some of the rounds went through a 1/2" pressboard bed head just above 2 children's heads. Drive by drug related shooting.

I have seen a mentality disturbed man on drugs who was found naked sitting in the middle of a road that had slashed his wrist with beer bottle glass but had not hit the main artery. He was placed in the back of a patrol car without being handcuffed because of the damage done to his wrist. After shutting the back door and before the deputy could open the his front door. The man reached up and with drug induced super human strength and ripped the divider cage loose from the passenger side mounting. There was a Rem. 870 riot gun hanging on the other side of the cage that the man pulled into his side and racked one into the chamber and placed the barrel under his chin. The deputy drew his pistol and he said that the man had that "shoot me" look in his eyes. The deputy did not shoot the man because he was not in immanent threat yet. So the guy shot himself. Now here is the strange thing. This load was standard Winchester 2 3/4" 9 pellet OO Buck. Only 1 pellet penetrated the mans head and it went through the head liner and put a small dent in the roof of the car. The guys head was like a paper bag full of bloody mush.

I have seen 22 long rifles fired from rifles pass completely through one door and out the other door of a couple cars.

Usually in my experience I have seen that people miss the person they intend to shoot more in a shooting situation that they hit them. Even police officers who actually are trained and can shoot targets in run and gun situations often miss the first shot. It is usually the second shot with a pistol or rifle you fire that will save your life. Shotguns have a better record unless the range is really close.

In my case personally and this is what I tell people that ask me what they should use for home defense is this. Either a pistol in a caliber that you can shoot multiple shots from quickly and accurately using proper expanding self defense ammo. I like Speer Gold Dots. This will depend on the person. A few 22 long rifle rounds from a pistol quickly to center mass is better than going fist to cuff with an intruder especially for older people. The second and best in my experience is a short barreled shotgun loaded with bird shot of most any size 4 to 9 for in the house usage. At these distances there will not be much spread and on human flesh acts about like a slug in damage but will not penetrate the whole house and if it goes through a wall or window it don't have a lot of power left.

Just some thoughts from my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.