Home Defense ARs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
Thank you everyone for the advice. If I didn't like your post, I just missed hitting like. I didn't realize how much good info I would get. I appreciate the contributions!

I'm leaning toward a 9 inch .300 BO with a 1:9 twist with an EOtech. I have a 16 inch 1:8 RRA that shoots great at 100-300 yards. It has an EOtech XPS. It will only shoot super sonic rounds up to 180 grains well. If I shoot subs it's no good past 25 yards. It will keyhole and bounce everywhere.

If you're planning on subs I'd go with a 1/7. My 1/8 doesn't like the super long bullets very much, 220gr is about as high as I can go and maintain stability. With no magnification and cheap ammo using a backpack as a rest I can shoot sub 5" 100yd groups all day with a 220 or lighter

subs are not a good defense choice. their terminal ballistics are pretty lousy. However the 110/115 expanding supersonics are easily the equal of a frangible M43 round (7.62x39).

I shoot subs with a can as a novelty item. But for a tactical/shtf weapon, I have AR-15 carbines and pistols in 300 BO which have replaced all my AK style weapons. For home defense it's the way to go. For SHTF, the only disadvantage is long-term ammo supply.

Anyone got one? My mind has been so set on Long Range ARs that I dont know what to look for in a home defense one. Caliber, barrel length, tacticool accessories?
Before I reread your post (the title) I wrote the following, I realize that it doesn't address your post, but...... For a "home defense long-gun" an older Remington 870 pump, with an 18 inch smooth bore, slug barrel with iron sights and an extended tube magazine, with a pressure switch light on the pump handle, with #4 buckshot and you will have all the defense weapon you will every need "for your house". Folding stocks can be obtained if you would like to shorten up the weapon. If necessary a 1 oz slug can be put to use for any longer distance shooting. And.....#4 buckshot patterns well in the modified choke of the Remington smooth bore slug barrel (41, .25 caliber pellets), with about a 24 inch spread at 25 yards. The 1 oz slugs will shoot quite decently out to 100 yards. With the #4 buckshot over penetration is somewhat limited, moreso than a .223 round or larger; do not have to worry about putting holes in your neighbor's house two acres away. I think that an AR is an option for home defense, however I am not a fan of them for home defense.

I'd just like to add that there's something to be said about the added effect of making one's butt cheeks slam together when a round is racked into the chamber; one of those oh ---t moments.:eek::oops:;)

Last edited:
subs are not a good defense choice. their terminal ballistics are pretty lousy. However the 110/115 expanding supersonics are easily the equal of a frangible M43 round (7.62x39).

I shoot subs with a can as a novelty item. But for a tactical/shtf weapon, I have AR-15 carbines and pistols in 300 BO which have replaced all my AK style weapons. For home defense it's the way to go. For SHTF, the only disadvantage is long-term ammo supply.
Not true. The cheap subs just pencil through, but there are a few options now for expanding/self defense subs.

I agree with you about long term ammo availability though. That's why I have a spare 556 carbine upper 😉

Last edited:
Anyone got one? My mind has been so set on Long Range ARs that I dont know what to look for in a home defense one. Caliber, barrel length, tacticool accessories?
For home defense I stick with my pistols. But any M4 or pistol AR will work. The problem is report. It's soooo loud indoors that I'd go with a pistol caliber if possible. As far as shotguns I'd just use a simple 870 18". I don't care for pistol grips so if you're going to have to negotiate hallways I'd still go with a pistol or collapsible shorter barrel AR. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thank you everyone for the advice. If I didn't like your post, I just missed hitting like. I didn't realize how much good info I would get. I appreciate the contributions!
Anytime, think nothing of it. I'll fight my way to my PCC with an ED Brown executive carry, with my initials on the back of the slide. So if my ID is locked in the safe, and I am laying in a pool of blood buck naked, they'll have a place to start, ML

pistols are harder to hit with under stress, and shotguns have a low capacity and do not give good patterns at 7 yds. Like Jeff Cooper said, the purpose of a handgun is to give you the chance to fight your way to a rifle. So why not eliminate the middle man and get the 30 rd heavy hitter with an optic which gives a better chance to connect.
this guy addresses many real considerations:

Not true. The cheap subs just pencil through, but there are a few options now for expanding/self defense subs.

I agree with you about long term ammo availability though. That's why I have a spare 556 carbine upper 😉

I'll have to try some of those out.

Anytime, think nothing of it. I'll fight my way to my PCC with an ED Brown executive carry, with my initials on the back of the slide. So if my ID is locked in the safe, and I am laying in a pool of blood buck naked, they'll have a place to start, ML

You're on a roll tonight.

Bedside if you come see me at night you will meet my Glock 21 with 200 gr. HP. If you come in and I am upstairs the introduction will be to my Benelli M4 with #4 buckshot. Hope I never have to use either except at the range and self defense classes.

Inside the house, my go to is an 18 inch 12 ga loaded with bird shot, no4s usually. Ideal in the home round. Individual pellets shed velocity quickly, so sheetrock penetration is minimal, but on soft flesh, a wad of little lead pellets is UGLY. My mossberg only holds 6. I keep 4 bird loads up front and a pair of 00 buck in the back up position. The way i see it , if 4 bird shot loads havent ended the intrusion, its time to get serious.

Last edited:
Inside the house, my go to is an 18 inch 12 ga loaded with bird shot, no4s usually. Ideal in the home round. Individual pellets shead velocity quickly, so sheetrock penetration is minimal, but on soft flesh, a wad of little lead pellets is UGLY. My mossberg only holds 6. I keep 4 bird loads up front and a pair of 00 buck in the back up position. The way i see it , if 4 bird shot loads havent ended the intrusion, its time to get serious.
My s&w 1911 e with the hand fitted EB barrel and beveled wilson bushing, also hand fitted, sits on my left , in the centet compartment on my couch . Wicked accurate, with lots of thump for the occasion i cant get to ol mossy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.